What happened to great Centos stuff --Rant

Comments, suggestions, compliments, etc
lsatenstein

What happened to great Centos stuff --Rant

Post by lsatenstein » 2014/07/12 15:24:35

A rant...

With Centos versions prior to 7, we had a welcoming boot and login screen, with bright colours and very inviting welcome screen. Now, I can hardly make out the boot image and the logon screen is an abysmal drab Flat-black, with a single window in the centre.

What happened to the welcome message that we once had on the logon screen. Has it disappeared forever, or invisible until needed?

At one time it, the welcome message was considered useless because of the introduction of the message of the day facility, but to obtain the message of the day you have to log in.
Nowq, after logging in, I discover that the system will be down now and I am ushered off.

Thanks to grub2 and multi-boot, I am able run several versions of Centos on my one single computer. Why can't I use that mysterious missing message of the day to remind me which of my version of Centos I am using.

Why does everything have to be Gnominized to drabness. Why are we moving to require multiple mouse-clicks to invoke a program.

Leslie

PS As a temporary fix for my problem, I create a dummy user titled OtherSDC to remind me that my system is booted from /dev/sdc.
--------------------------------------------
Regards

Leslie Satenstein

CentosServer

Re: What happened to great Centos stuff --Rant

Post by CentosServer » 2014/07/13 22:32:45

I have to agree, "Why does everything have to be Gnominized to drabness".

And why does every GUI now want to give our Desktops and Servers a smart phone UI ?

Is there a decent GUI that does not want to pretend that it is running on a smart phone ?

StephenH

Post by StephenH » 2014/08/07 14:51:14

And, if one wants to run an alternate DE, such as the KDE Plasma in place of the horrible Gnome 3/Gnome Shell, why is there not an alternative desktop manager to gdm? If one deletes Gnome Shell, GDM is taken with it and the system is broken. There is no alternative such as KDM, LightDM, XDM, etc.

At least it was in a VirtualBox VM, so I could just delete it and start again.

scottro
Forum Moderator

Post by scottro » 2014/08/14 10:09:17

We have no problem with rants against CentOS 7, as a brief perusal of the forum would indicate.

There are a limited number of moderators. Since any member will tell you, there used to be a great deal of spam before the software was updated, new users have the first post or two moderated. I approved this post, disapproved one saying "I must be censored," asking you to see my response to the approved post--but then, I had other things to do and didn't get a chance to write this.

We didn't approve the post saying, I must be censored because we didn't feel like starting a pointless thread about it. Read the links in my sig, look at the announcements page, especially viewtopic.php?f=9&t=42857

I have to say, you're the very first one who has accused us of censoring for not getting their post approved in a couple of hours. Sometimes, it can be a day.

Anyway, welcome to the forums--feel free to rant against CentOS 7 and all its changes, which seem to come from Fedora, which seems, at least to me, to be aimed more and more at the less experienced desktop user running a single user laptop. Yes, many consider it a problem, especially now that CentOS 7, which will probably be used more as server than desktop, has come out with systemd, firewalld, and other things that strike many as being more Windows-ish. For better or worse, it seems to be the future of Linux...whether this will be a boon for the BSDs, or if, like the frog who doesn't jump out of water if it's slowly heated to a boil, everyone will come to embrace it, I have no idea.

Please do read at least some of the links in my sig. While we have nothing against rants about the new CentOS 7, we do request that you (not that you've done this, save for the accusation that we were censoring you) refrain from personal attacks and vulgarity.
New users should check the FAQ and Read Me First pages

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2014/08/14 10:29:00

One slight update to that: the user in question proceeded to mail us on the forum-admin address after receiving the disapproval mail with a torrent of abuse and swear words. Since that is against the forum rules and regulations, now I have censored them by removing their userid and all posts.

We don't tolerate personal abuse here.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke