CentOS 6 - ships with unsupported Grub?

General support questions
jvsrvcs

Post by jvsrvcs » 2011/08/11 22:45:36

I followed the grub documentation on the GNU site and it hosed my CentOS system. I cannot boot. I am not sure why there are not failsafes in grub to prevent it from taking down a customers system, but that is another story.

I then subscribed to the grub help mailing list, posted a question waited three days and said that the version of grub that ships with RHEL is "not supported here".

How would I possibly get this task into the queue such that the next version of RHEL in dev now, next to be shipped would ship with a supported version of grub?

If anyone at RedHat in the QA dept is listening or reading this, please contact me I have additional questions.

As a followup, does there exist documentation anywhere that has instructions for installing, after the fact, a supported version of grub on CentOS 6 and removing the unsupported version?

---
Also how do I get my CentOS system back?

When I used the boot CD and went into linux rescue, and ran: #grub-install /dev/sda

again, it said that

/sbin/grub: Not Found

so that means the unsupported version does not even work with the CD that was shipped. If I can join a QA group anywhere to help test this stuff (important stuff) that falls through the cracks let me know. I would like to help test.

Regards,

J.V.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: CentOS 6 - ships with unsupported Grub?

Post by TrevorH » 2011/08/11 23:53:25

[quote]
[/quote]

No it doesn't. It ships with a version that's supported by Redhat. There are two versions of grub around - the old 'legacy' grub that's used by a lot of distributions and the new 'grub2'. You asked for support for legacy grub on the grub2 mailing list and were rightly told that they don't support it.

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2011/08/13 23:09:27

You now have 3 separate current topics going on GRUB, not to mention [url=https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=32162&forum=55&post_id=137406#forumpost137406]one from last month[/url]. Please read my answer in your [url=https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&topic_id=32698&forum=55]how to #grub-install with CentOS 6[/url] thread and do not start additional threads on the same issue. I see nothing in any of your posts that cannot be easily handled with the current GRUB.

Complaining will get you nowhere. CentOS uses what comes from Red Hat. Learn to use what is provided or switch to another distro that has grub2, which many people seem to dislike intensely, preferring the legacy GRUB.

scottro
Forum Moderator

Post by scottro » 2011/08/14 14:43:05

Grub2 is horrible. Wait till you have to trouble shoot that.

grub rescue > help

Unknown command help.

Sigh, as I get older, and see more of the new crop of features, apparently developed by kids who have no idea of system administration, I do have to wonder....

billwest

Post by billwest » 2011/08/15 00:48:48

I assume, that when you went in to Rescue Mode, you read the screen that said:

Type " chroot /mnt/sysimage "

before executing

grub-install /dev/sda ?

Just a thought.

Bill.