CentOS 6 - Shutdown - Why so long? ip6tables: unloading modules is sucking my life away

General support questions
jvsrvcs

CentOS 6 - Shutdown - Why so long? ip6tables: unloading modules is sucking my life away

Post by jvsrvcs » 2011/08/13 00:51:33

How long does it take for you to shutdown your CentOS system?

Mine just sits there, for long time. I have to time each event and how long it takes but when it gets to "ip6tables: unloading modules" it takes a freaking long time. Is there a way to identify what in this piece of code is doing? is there a way to turn ipv6 off entirely? It is on a local lan only using private ip's v4 so I do not believe I need ipv6 entirely.

This is a multi-boot test box, so I need to be able to bounce it quickly. It is sucking my life away and the money from my employer making my company less competitive and ultimately we may go out of business because of long CentOS bounce times and then food will be ripped off the table of my family. Thus it is important. It is taking life away.

How do I check out the code and fix this beast that kills?

TrevorH
Site Admin

CentOS 6 - Shutdown - Why so long? ip6tables: unloading modu

Post by TrevorH » 2011/08/13 01:10:49

Run as root

[code]
sysctl net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6=1
sysctl net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1
[/code]

If this fixes the problems then edit /etc/sysctl.conf and add those variable assignments in there i.e.

[code]
net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6=1
net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1
[/code]

pjc123

Re: CentOS 6 - Shutdown - Why so long? ip6tables: unloading modules is sucking my life away

Post by pjc123 » 2011/08/13 12:24:36

The ip6tables shutdown issue is one of the problems that I have been experiencing since May, when I first installed Scientific Linux 6.0. This past Friday I finally found a fix that works. Check out the last post of my thread "random pauses at boot-up and shutdown" in this same forum category (CentOS 6 - General Support).

I am curious....what type of hardware do you have? I am interested in the similarities to my situation.