Dual booting centos

General support questions
kantysri

Dual booting centos

Post by kantysri » 2019/04/23 07:13:37

I have 500gb hard disk and windows 7 already installed on it. I have one empty partition size 80gb, and wanted to install centos 6.9 on it. When try to install, at the at the partition page, I can see the un-allocated partition (80gb -ntfs) as sda3 but upon choosing this partition and selecting "Create" option, I get an error message as
"Note that the creation action requires one of the following--
*Free space in one of the hard drives
*Atleast two free software raid partitions
*Atleaset one free physical volume(LVM) partition
*Atleast one volume with group space"

I do not want to mess up my windows os and wanted to install centos on this partition as dual boot.
My System configuration are as
500GB hdd
4gb ram
Please help me with the solution.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Dual booting centos

Post by TrevorH » 2019/04/23 10:30:37

Your first problem is that you're trying to install 6.9 when that's not the latest version. 6.10 is the version of CentOS 6 that should be used.

To do an install, you will need free unpartitioned space on your disk. The CentOS installer will need to create a primary partition that will be mounted on /boot - that should be 1GB in size if you follow the recommendations. It then needs to create at least one more partition which can be primary or it can be a logical drive inside an extended partition. If you are using a disk with an msdos label on it (as opposed to a GPT one) then you can only have 4 primary partitions and Windows may well have used several leaving you with not enough to perform an install.

Boot the installer but this time, use Ctrl-Alt-F2 to switch to the 2nd terminal where you'll find a root command prompt. From that, run fdisk -lu /dev/sd[a-z] and post it here so that we can see what to do next.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

kantysri

Post by kantysri » 2019/04/23 18:55:36

Sure thing!
Thank you for your quick answer.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2019/04/23 20:08:27

Actually I just read the subject of your original post and didn't realise that you wanted to dual boot. My usual advice is: don't. Use a VM and run the operating system you use least as a VM under the other one. Or, if one of them needs dedicated access to hardware then run that as host.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke