Copying/Backing Up Packages in Closed Network

General support questions
iTninjasaki

Copying/Backing Up Packages in Closed Network

Post by iTninjasaki » 2019/10/09 21:07:03

Without disclosing too much information, one Server I have shows vulnerable for Oracle Java. We are a closed network so we run our own repo for security purposes. I believe removing the srvadmin-jre-* package will remediate this vulnerability, however, I am new here and am the primary person for Linux. I'm not sure if the custom software we run is using this package (I am 99% sure it isn't) but if it is, I need a way to re-instate the package. Is there a way I can copy the packages to another location before uninstall them?

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Copying/Backing Up Packages in Closed Network

Post by TrevorH » 2019/10/09 21:55:11

That's a package from Dell, part of their OMSA server management software. The latest versions of those are 9.3.0-3465.14818.el6.x86_64 and ship a jre package which reports:

Code: Select all

$ /opt/dell/srvadmin/lib64/openmanage/jre/bin/java -version
java version "10.0.1" 2018-04-17
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 18.3 (build 10.0.1+10)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 18.3 (build 10.0.1+10, mixed mode)
If you yum remove that, it will take the OMSA webserver out with it. If you don't connect to the https server that runs on port 1311 then you probably won't care.

You can download the Dell packages from dell.com and your server may well have shipped with a copy on optical media. If you do need to reinstall it (along with srvadmin-tomcat and srvmin-webserver) then you'll need to match the version of the other installed srvadmin packages - so either all old or all new, no mix and match.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke