Centos 6 can not install kernel-2.6.30.x

Issues related to applications and software problems
User avatar
TrevorH
Forum Moderator
Posts: 26587
Joined: 2009/09/24 10:40:56
Location: Brighton, UK

Re: Centos 6 can not install kernel-2.6.30.x

Post by TrevorH » 2019/04/09 10:33:22

We ship with a 2.6.32 kernel which may well have features in it (or enabled in it) that are not present, not enabled or not working properly in a previous version of the kernel from several years before. The RHEL/CentOS 2.6.32 kernel, even at the time of release of 6.0, would have been significantly different to the mainline 2.6.32 kernel and trying to run one from 2 versions before that is untested, unmaintainable and insecure.

No-one has touched 2.6.30 since 2009. It will have every single security vulnerability present that has been discovered in the last 10 years in the linux kernel. Running it is insane. Do not do it.
CentOS 5 died in March 2017 - migrate NOW!
CentOS 6 goes EOL sooner rather than later, get upgrading!
Full time Geek, part time moderator. Use the FAQ Luke

User avatar
nguyenminhcong
Posts: 7
Joined: 2019/04/08 04:40:29
Location: Ho Chi Minh, VN

Re: Centos 6 can not install kernel-2.6.30.x

Post by nguyenminhcong » 2019/04/09 14:20:51

TrevorH wrote:
2019/04/09 10:33:22
We ship with a 2.6.32 kernel which may well have features in it (or enabled in it) that are not present, not enabled or not working properly in a previous version of the kernel from several years before. The RHEL/CentOS 2.6.32 kernel, even at the time of release of 6.0, would have been significantly different to the mainline 2.6.32 kernel and trying to run one from 2 versions before that is untested, unmaintainable and insecure.

No-one has touched 2.6.30 since 2009. It will have every single security vulnerability present that has been discovered in the last 10 years in the linux kernel. Running it is insane. Do not do it.
Hi TrevorH,

Thank you very much. Such a kind of you!
I have serveral years experience on CentOS. Now i have a exercise about install kernel-2.6.30.x on Centos 6, Just only install for test, not use.

There is a problem with dracut when boot up CentOS from kernel-2.6.30.x , but I can not solve it.

User avatar
avij
Retired Moderator
Posts: 3039
Joined: 2010/12/01 19:25:52
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Contact:

Re: Centos 6 can not install kernel-2.6.30.x

Post by avij » 2019/04/09 14:32:44

You are free to use any kernel you want if you know what you are doing. If you need to ask for assistance, you don't know what you are doing.

User avatar
nguyenminhcong
Posts: 7
Joined: 2019/04/08 04:40:29
Location: Ho Chi Minh, VN

Re: Centos 6 can not install kernel-2.6.30.x

Post by nguyenminhcong » 2019/04/10 02:36:01

avij wrote:
2019/04/09 14:32:44
You are free to use any kernel you want if you know what you are doing. If you need to ask for assistance, you don't know what you are doing.
Hi Avij,

I'm very sad when hear this. i'm very busy. But my boss give this work to me. If you have any ideal about this case, please help me.

Thank you.

tunk
Posts: 585
Joined: 2017/02/22 15:08:17

Re: Centos 6 can not install kernel-2.6.30.x

Post by tunk » 2019/04/10 11:16:58

All people here are volunteers using their spare time, so don't expect any hand-holding.
Ask your boss why he/she wants 2.6.30, and if there's no good answer,
tell him/her it's security wise not a good move.

User avatar
TrevorH
Forum Moderator
Posts: 26587
Joined: 2009/09/24 10:40:56
Location: Brighton, UK

Re: Centos 6 can not install kernel-2.6.30.x

Post by TrevorH » 2019/04/10 12:14:41

Perhaps your boss has given you something patently stupid to do as a test to see if you're willing to stand up and tell him/her that it's a stupid idea?
CentOS 5 died in March 2017 - migrate NOW!
CentOS 6 goes EOL sooner rather than later, get upgrading!
Full time Geek, part time moderator. Use the FAQ Luke

welbo
Posts: 17
Joined: 2009/10/07 01:51:51

Re: Centos 6 can not install kernel-2.6.30.x

Post by welbo » 2019/04/16 02:13:17

TrevorH wrote:
2019/04/10 12:14:41
Perhaps your boss has given you something patently stupid to do as a test to see if you're willing to stand up and tell him/her that it's a stupid idea?
It's been a while since I've been back to this forum because my CentOS6 box has been running flawlessly for years. However it is replies like this one that make me wish it would break more often to give cause to come read up. Better than facebook.

Post Reply

Return to “CentOS 6 - Software Support”