Centos Server giving a long beep and red led light.

Issues related to hardware problems
enriquezove

Centos Server giving a long beep and red led light.

Post by enriquezove » 2016/07/03 11:36:01

I have just joined a Computer lab as a PHD candidate. I have used debian based linux system in past. I have started to use RHEL based linux system here. They are mostly single quad core system with graphic cards running centos 6.

Yesterday I spent most of time untangling the wire mess around all these GPU system like Dell Precision T7500, Fujitsu Celsius. It is not my job to look after hardwares but I thought somebody must do the minimum.

Now coming to the problem, I plugged a fujitsu power cable (last cable that I had plugged) into a wall socket and it started sparking. I initially hoped that it will be gone soon, but two connected GPU system (which is most likely referred as server) in opposite corner of room started beeping while the sparking continued.

I immediately switched off the wall socket and pulled out the Fujitsu power cable. The Server system kept on beeping for some time. Not sure about what I should do, I switched off the Server wall socket too. After sometime I plugged the Fujitsu cable in other available wall socket and checked all the other GPUs which uses same power line. All of these GPUs are working fine, even that one GPU which is connected to same extension board as the server machine.

I next checked what does beeping and red led light represents. The server system is a combination of two Supermicro GPUs, totalling upto 16 core and 64 GB of RAM. It also have at-least 4 Graphic Cards. I studied the Beep Code manual and realized that I may have caused some fatal error in that machine.

I tried to boot the server system today to check the number of beeps it is giving. The beep was very long without any pause. The fan was super noisy too. However, all this happened to only one of those two connected GPUs. The other GPU was green lit and also was not making any noise. I have switched the power off again.

I have to inform all about this on Monday. I may have to brief the maintenance guy as the system is still under warranty.

Please provide me some of your experienced insight into my problem.

JDMac

Re: Centos Server giving a long beep and red led light.

Post by JDMac » 2016/07/19 08:13:22

Hi enriquezove,

It sounds like your issue is operating system agnostic, and that the server may not be passing POST.

Are you able to confirm if the system does actually pass POST to be able to start loading CentOS?

Very likely that the sparking has caused an electrical fault within the hardware itself, similar to the way I'd expect a short or a surge to.

Regards,

JDMac