Samba Share Unaccessible - mount cifs error

Issues related to configuring your network
Nvizn

Samba Share Unaccessible - mount cifs error

Post by Nvizn » 2017/06/13 00:51:02

I have a user that has had no problems mounting a Windows file share to his CentOS6.9 workstation. He even mounted this exact share on Friday. Now today, the user is unable to mount and receiving errors. I receive the same upon attempting to mount. However, I can mount the share with no problems, identical command on a RHEL7 system. Any help is appreciated.

Command and results on CentOS:

Code: Select all

mount -v -t cifs -o username=user,password=password,domain=domain.com,vers=2.0,iocharset=utf8,rw,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 //shareserver/directory /testshare
mount.cifs kernel mount options: ip=1XX.XXX.XXX.X5,unc=\\shareserver\directory,vers=2.0,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,ver=1,user=user,domain=domain.com,pass=********
mount error(13): Permission denied
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)
Command and results on RHEL (mounts with no problems):

# mount -v -t cifs -o username=user,password=password,domain=domain.com,vers=2.0,iocharset=utf8,rw,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 //shareserver/directory /testshare1
mount.cifs kernel mount options: ip=1XX.XXX.XXX.X5,unc=\\shareserver\directory,vers=2.0,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,user=user,,domain=domain.com,pass=********
Testing Samba on CentOS:

$ smbclient -U user  //1XX.XXX.XXX.X5/directory
Enter user's password: 
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
Testing Samba on RHEL:

$ smbclient -U user  //1XX.XXX.XXX.X5/directory
WARNING: The "idmap uid" option is deprecated
Enter user's password: 
Domain=[XXX] OS=[Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise 7601 Service Pack 1] Server=[Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise 6.1]
smb: \> 
I've made sure CIFS/Samba was current on the CentOS6 system:

# yum install samba-client samba-common cifs-utils 
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, nvidia, refresh-packagekit, security
Setting up Install Process
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
epel/metalink                                                     |  14 kB     00:00     
 * base: mirror.es.its.nyu.edu
 * elrepo: ftp.osuosl.org
 * epel: mirror.cogentco.com
 * extras: mirror.netdepot.com
 * rpmfusion-free-updates: mirror.us.leaseweb.net
 * rpmfusion-nonfree-updates: mirror.us.leaseweb.net
 * updates: repo1.ash.innoscale.net
adobe-linux-x86_64                                                | 2.9 kB     00:00     
base                                                              | 3.7 kB     00:00     
elrepo                                                            | 2.9 kB     00:00     
elrepo/primary_db                                                 | 656 kB     00:00     
extras                                                            | 3.4 kB     00:00     
rpmfusion-free-updates                                            | 3.0 kB     00:00     
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates                                         | 3.0 kB     00:00     
updates                                                           | 3.4 kB     00:00     
Package samba-client-3.6.23-43.el6_9.x86_64 already installed and latest version
Package samba-common-3.6.23-43.el6_9.x86_64 already installed and latest version
Package cifs-utils-4.8.1-20.el6.x86_64 already installed and latest version
Nothing to do
Any help is greatly appreciated! I'm certainly stumped.

ancientnoise

Re: Samba Share Unaccessible - mount cifs error

Post by ancientnoise » 2017/06/13 19:27:19

So you have this:

mount error(13): Permission denied

and this...

This would suggest that there's a discrepancy in the userid and/or password pair. You may have to use smbpasswd for the user and try again.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2017/06/13 20:20:16

Also, since you say it worked last Friday, has anyone tweaked your Windows servers to disable SMB1 to protect against the recent vulnerabilities?
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

Nvizn

Post by Nvizn » 2017/06/13 20:22:14

Thanks for your input. Here's the results:

$ smbclient -U smbpasswd //1XX.XXX.XXX.X5/directory
Enter smbpasswd's password: 
One obvious variation that I do notice on the system that is working and the one that is not, is the response before entering the password and after the command. This response does not exist on the failed system.

WARNING: The "idmap uid" option is deprecated

Nvizn

Post by Nvizn » 2017/06/13 20:26:40

TrevorH wrote:Also, since you say it worked last Friday, has anyone tweaked your Windows servers to disable SMB1 to protect against the recent vulnerabilities?
I'm not 100% certain what was patched, but here's a response from our Windows Sys Admin on Monday and in response to troubleshooting our problem:
I applied 1 MS patch (security) to the system, and it was rebooted on Friday night. We have had a few people logon using CIFS, and were successful.