Just installed CentOS 6 - networking does not

Issues related to configuring your network
jvsrvcs

Just installed CentOS 6 - networking does not

Post by jvsrvcs » 2011/07/15 08:11:54

After installation, I could not ping yahoo.com.

I had set things up (DHCP) and all other devices on my network (windows) just works.

After fiddling around and googing, I tried /etc/rc.d/init.d/network start

I got a message [OK] and then another message repeated about a dozen times that some file exists.
It could have told me just once, I get the message.

After googling some more and poking around the file system, I found /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts

I fiddled for about an hour and typed:
$./ifup eth0

and could ping yahoo.com

but now when I reboot, I have to go do that again.

I have set things up with a static IP, netmask, gateway and dns servers.

How do I make it such that networking just works when I boot up?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

J.V.

maqattaq

Re: Just installed CentOS 6 - networking does not

Post by maqattaq » 2011/07/15 17:21:47

Follow this...

cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
nano (or vi) ifcfg-eth0

Change the "ONBOOT=" setting from "no" to "yes"

Save your changes, then do

service network restart.

It will hold there.

I'm curious as to why it behaves like this on new installs... it throws a lot of people off to say the least, and I've seen this occur on Oracle Linux 6 as well. So, I don't think it's CentOS-specific... it seems to be more on the upstream provider (since both Oracle and CentOS get their stuff from the same source).

taylorkh

Post by taylorkh » 2011/07/16 14:05:48

For the NEXT time you install CentOS 6 (or Scientific Linux 6 or RHEL 6)... After the installer asks for your language and keyboard and Basic or other storage devices it runs "Examining Devices" then it presents you with a screen "Please name this computer..." On this screen is a button labeled "Configure Networking". If you click on that button you will launch Network Manager (or at least something which looks like Network Manager). Select the connection which is probably listed as "System eth0" and edit the settings. If you select "[X] Connect Automatically" networking will start on boot in the future. You can also make this change with Network Manager (System; Preferences; Network Connections or right click on the little network icon in the notification area and Edit Connections...) after the installation is complete.

And as to WHY it is this way??? They probably copied it from Ubuntu to make things easier :-D

Ken

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2011/07/16 18:46:43

This seemed like a FAQ, so now it [url=http://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/CentOS6#head-b67e85d98f0e9f1b599358105c551632c6ff7c90]is[/url].

maqattaq

Post by maqattaq » 2011/07/17 17:50:08

I didn't think Ubuntu did that... but the only way I've worked with Ubuntu is through a live CD or USB drive.

I stumbled upon taylorkh's solution on my 2nd installation... was going to reply here to note it, but since he beat me to it... I'm good.