I also just installed CentOS 6.0, but networking isn't working right ...

Issues related to configuring your network
sstatman

I also just installed CentOS 6.0, but networking isn't working right ...

Post by sstatman » 2011/07/19 05:04:57

... but it isn't the same issue.

When I first tried to use the box, I saw that eth0 was up just fine. I could ping external sites (www.google.com, www.yahoo.com, etc.) fine, I could run host on those domains, etc.

However, if I tried to use a browser (Firefox) or even just do a wget, I was unable to resolve the host address.

(eg; 'wget: unable to resolve host address "www.yahoo.com"')

I tried restarting the network (as root) using /etc/init.d/network restart, which failed because NetworkManager wasn't managing eth0 or eth1. Then I couldn't ping either. However, once I started NetworkManager (and I think I rebooted once or twice), I could see eth0 up, network restart worked, etc.

However, I still can't get that host to resolve when I'm using wget or a browser. The nameserver (in resolv.conf) looks right. And, well, ping and host seem to resolve fine.

Any ideas or pointers?

pschaff
Retired Moderator

I also just installed CentOS 6.0, but networking isn't worki

Post by pschaff » 2011/07/19 20:41:09

Welcome to the CentOS fora. Please see the recommended reading for new users linked in my signature.

[quote]
sstatman wrote:
... but it isn't the same issue.[/quote]
Not the same issue as what?

[quote]
However, I still can't get that host to resolve when I'm using wget or a browser. The nameserver (in resolv.conf) looks right. And, well, ping and host seem to resolve fine.

Any ideas or pointers?[/quote]
Not a clue, but please [url=http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=25128&forum=47]provide more information about your system[/url] by running "./getinfo.sh" and showing us the output file, and perhaps we'll get one.

gstaruk

Re: I also just installed CentOS 6.0, but networking isn't working right ...

Post by gstaruk » 2011/07/21 02:06:50

Sounds like a DNS issue. I'd manually check your config:

vi /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

Make sure you have a valid DNS server address in there somewhere, if not simply add:

DNS1=(primary DNS server IP address)
DNS2=(secondary dns server IP - if any)

Also, whilst you're there - you might want to check that 'onboot=yes' for eth0.
CentOS 6.0 seems to install with it defaulted off on boot.

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Re: I also just installed CentOS 6.0, but networking isn't working right ...

Post by pschaff » 2011/07/21 14:04:51

[quote]
gstaruk wrote:
Sounds like a DNS issue. I'd manually check your config:
....[/quote]
[url=https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&topic_id=32211&forum=58]Hmmm...[/url] [i][b]Déjà vu[/b][/i] :-)

Too soon to tell, pending getinfo.sh output, but the statement "I could ping external sites (www.google.com, www.yahoo.com, etc.) fine, I could run host on those domains, etc." indicates otherwise.

[quote]
Also, whilst you're there - you might want to check that 'onboot=yes' for eth0.
CentOS 6.0 seems to install with it defaulted off on boot.[/quote]
And again:

[url=http://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/CentOS6#head-b67e85d98f0e9f1b599358105c551632c6ff7c90]CentOS 6 FAQ#2. Why does my Ethernet not work unless I log in and explicitly enable it?[/url]