[RESOLVED] forcibly mounting an automount from the command line

Issues related to configuring your network
dccarson

[RESOLVED] forcibly mounting an automount from the command line

Post by dccarson » 2011/07/27 22:44:16

I have just installed CentOS 6.0 on a server, call it D, which holds several special home directories intended for automount from other servers A, B and C.

Because I reinstalled and rebooted D, the current /home/myhome on box A (which automounts the home dir on D) has a stale NFS mount. Assuming no one else has a hold on a stale NFS mount of D:/home/myhome, I would like to be able to "umount" it and then remount without having to reboot A.

So far, I can only "umount" but cannot get the location to remount. I have tried:
- simple commands to allow autofs to mount, such as "df /home/myhome" on box A
- service autofs restart
- service autofs nfs
- tried to manually mount using "mount -t nfs ..." command (perhaps I can get this to work, but have wrong syntax?)

Here is my NIS configuration for automounting, in files /etc/auto.master and /etc/auto.home.
[code]
== /etc/auto.master ==
/home /etc/auto.home

== /etc/auto.home ==
/myhome -fstype=nfs,soft,intr D:/data0/myhome
+yp:auto.home tcp,intr,nfsvers=3
[/code]

The point of this setup is so that I can override the entry in the NIS map for myhome, then load all the entries from the NIS map (yp:auto.home).

What I really need to know is: CAN I force the automount to mount this directory without having to reboot all the A,B,C,... servers. (There are lots of them; would love to avoid it.)

Thanks,
David

dccarson

Re: forcibly mounting an automount from the command line

Post by dccarson » 2011/07/28 13:49:52

Egg on my face on this one. In my haste, I had exported the wrong directories from server D. Once I fixed that, I was able to restart autof and allow the automount to work on its own. (I discovered the error after I decided to do a manual mount to a real, physical directory and got an error. I had assumed that my attempts at a manual mount were not working because of the funky nature of the /home directories being created on the fly.)

AlanBartlett
Forum Moderator

[RESOLVED] forcibly mounting an automount from the command l

Post by AlanBartlett » 2011/07/28 18:14:20

Thank you for reporting back with your update.

On your behalf, and for posterity, this thread is now marked [RESOLVED].