Can't SSH into my server

Support for security such as Firewalls and securing linux
fla_panther

Can't SSH into my server

Post by fla_panther » 2017/03/12 12:59:56

Hi all,

A few weeks ago I had my server on my kitchen table while I was doing some work on it. A friend came over and while plugging his laptop power supply into my power strip he bumped the power cable feeding my server. I guess that outlet on the power strip must be bad because that's all it took for my server to lose power. I didn't worry about it much at the time (spilt milk and all that) but now that I've booted it back up I'm having issues. Specifically, I can't log in remotely.

While trying to troubleshoot the issue I did see the error "gkr-pam: couldn't update the 'login' keyring password: no old password was entered" in /var/log/secure. I found a few threads but nothing has helped. I don't have any other *nix boxes in the house so I can't do ssh with -vvv, the best I was able to do is putty with -v and all that tells me is that it's going to use the username I told it to use before doing so.

I found this thread (viewtopic.php?f=16&t=42928&start=10) but wasn't sure which directory I should try running that command on in my situation, if at all. In this thread (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... 175512423/) it mentions turning off selinux to test, I tried that, no change. I also created a new user to see if maybe a new user would be created properly and work, it did not. I did notice the permissions for /root were 550 as in that last thread, I changed that to 710. I don't allow root to login via ssh but that seemed like something that needed to be fixed, ssh or not.

I also saw this post (viewtopic.php?t=58706), but not sure if there's anything useful there for me. I'm not sure where to go next. Any advice would be appreciated.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Can't SSH into my server

Post by TrevorH » 2017/03/12 16:46:53

Look in /var/log/secure for messages.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke