Virtualization on CentOS 5

General support questions including new installations
mattm

Post by mattm » 2007/04/13 13:42:42

Congratulations on another great release! Will CentOS 5 have out of the box virtualization features like it's little brother RHEL5?

simonh

Re: Virtualization on CentOS 5

Post by simonh » 2007/04/13 14:21:26

According to the announcement on the Centos home page:

>Virtualization provided by the Xen hypervisor with Virtual Machine Manager and libvirt.

So yes.

As with the upstream release, comprehensive virtualization features are perhaps the most important and exciting feature in this release. I've spent some time over the last few months investigating the virtualization technologies available in Debian, Solaris 10 and Linux (I've been job hunting, so wanted to make sure I could field any questions on this area).

It's a complex field and I'm looking forward to experimenting with the CentOS 5 virtualization features. My new employer runs their core products on RHEL up to AS3, but down the line this will become an important technology for us, and even if we choose not to use it we'll need to know exactly why - any decision should be an informed one, even if it's to do nothing.

Many thanks to the CentOS team for a great product, and perhaps more importantly building such a great community around it.

Simon Hibbs

mattm

Re: Virtualization on CentOS 5

Post by mattm » 2007/04/13 14:54:16

Very nice, I must ahve missed that on the front page! ;p

I've been using a commercial virtualization product called Virtual Iron at my current employer. It's based on Xen and has a very intuitive and feature rich setup.

arrfab
Site Admin

Post by arrfab » 2007/04/13 15:01:09

Virtual Iron has good tool, a intuitive gui for live migration ..
Don't expect having the same tool on rhel5/CentOS 5 ... there is only one gui (virt-manager) but he's limited in comparison to what Virtual Iron is offering ...
But it's just a gui ...