Media player installation without internet

Issues related to software problems.
nishil032

Media player installation without internet

Post by nishil032 » 2014/12/03 06:36:35

Hi,
Iam a newbie to the Linux system ,installed my pc with the cent OS 5 but unfortunately the media players like Totem is unable to play any format of the video files due to the plugin issue ...please get me to resolve these issues,,,,,if any possibility of offline installation (ie all sites advises the online installation modes,) of the any medai player especially like vlc ....????

Thanks,
Nishil

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Media player installation without internet

Post by TrevorH » 2014/12/03 09:02:48

Is there a reason why you picked CentOS 5 for a new install? CentOS 5 was released in 2007 and all its packages date from that era. It has just over 2 years of support left before it goes end of life and only major security vulnerabilities will be patched between now and then. You would have been much better off picking CentOS 6 (EOL 2020) or CentOS 7 (EOL 2024) which were released in 2010 and 2014 respectively. On both, multimedia support is far better although I wouldn't recommend using totem on any of them. The nux-dextop yum repository has vlc available for both CentOS 6 and 7.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

Vladi

Re: Media player installation without internet

Post by Vladi » 2014/12/03 19:25:35

nishil032 wrote:Hi,
,if any possibility of offline installation (ie all sites advises the online installation modes,)
Yes, but it is easyer due to the net. If you can, plug your pc to internet, and install.
you need atrpm repo first.

It you cant, you can try deadbeef portable build. It is for music.
Or install mplayer package by hand:link
and smplayer the same. link

Use your install dvd as a repo. But you can still get dependency errors.