Any help getting my dvd drive detected...

Issues related to hardware problems
extendedping

Any help getting my dvd drive detected...

Post by extendedping » 2007/04/17 01:55:35

I have an intel dq965gf motherboard and my dvd/cdrom drive is (I beieive) a lite on dvd LH. I am not sure where to look for more detailed information on it but when I enter the bios that is all the information I can find. When initially inistalling Centos it failed and after some web searching I used the LINUX INSTALL ALL-GENERIC-IDE option at startup and everything went fine. Now centos is installed and everything works great....everything but I don't think my dvd is even detected. So several questions

1) Is it possible my dvd/cdrom (only have 1 drive) is detected but I don't know something simple like some commands to mount it?

2) if it is not detected (as I suspect) then how is it possible that I used that very drive (again using the ALL-GENERIC-IDE) paramaters with no issues...doesn't that tell me that if it can be used to install centos off a dvd that the drive should be seen once the os is installed?

any help would be greatly appreciated. I am still a newbie and in fact am not even sure ot the dvd manufacture...all I have to go on is the above description from my bios and that seemed pretty generic to me (lite on dvd lh with no other numbers). thanks much...

extendedping

Re: Any help getting my dvd drive detected...

Post by extendedping » 2007/04/17 02:26:06

got the answer bouncing around on the web...in case anyone else has the same issue this must be added to your grub.conf

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-8.1.1.el5PAE ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 all
-generic-ide pci=nommconf rhgb quiet

where what must be added it the ALL-GENERIC-IDE PCI=NOMMCONF line

so all is running like gold now :)

big improvement from fedora 6 where sound graphic resolution and dvd did not work
big imporvement from centos 4 which would not even install.....