PROBLEM WITH ROUTER

Issues related to hardware problems
shuhei

PROBLEM WITH ROUTER

Post by shuhei » 2012/12/20 02:39:28

Hello, I have Centos 5.8 installed on my laptop.

My ISP is UCOM. And Router provided by ISP is from Planex. Yesterday, I tried to connect with the router but PIN number is not found anywhere and I have inquired PIN to the PLANEX.

They only told me SSID and password for its WAP or somthing. [size=120]PIN itself is not written on the router [/size]!!!. It is wierd so I went to buy Router Buffalo, WZR-600HP. but the instruction told me to connect to the router provided by wierd ISP.

I will try to plug in Buffalo router itself to see first since the signal itself should be generated when electricity runs.

My question is [size=120]IS THERE ANY ROUTER SPECIFICALLY GOOD FOR LINUX[/size]? If there is any please tell me what router should I buy. I am not fond of using wierd ISP router provided with no PIN number.

The point I assume is that there should not be the need for another router besides the one provided by ISP weird router, that I cant access to becasue PIN is unknown, in order to cover the whole small house. So what is the point of this buffalo router if it needs connection from the wierd router? which is the question I ask myself.

The another question is how do I locate Router in Linux? is there any specific window to see the router? then how can see the address of the router and gateway it use?

Please comprehensive answers, in the case I do not need additional buffalo router at all, I am returning it to the shop. In the meantime I ll ask ISP about the router.

Sincerely yours

DaemonProgrammr

PROBLEM WITH ROUTER

Post by DaemonProgrammr » 2012/12/20 08:07:40

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking. But A typical (Well-functioning and well-configured) router is simply a gateway between networks. For example the local network and the internet. A typical way to configure a router is through some sort of web interface that opens if you open the ip address of the router in a web interface.

Connecting a network capable machine to the router, should automatically receive an IP address if the router (or any other device on the local network) runs a DHCP service.

Not sure what you mean by PIN number. But if you're talking about WLAN configuration, the provider should be able to tell you what the PIN number is, or should at least be able to tell you where to find it. (Operation Manual / ISP contract / information maybe?)