Belkin F5D7000 VER5000 does Madwifi work with CentOS 5?

Issues related to configuring your network
joefrommo

Post by joefrommo » 2007/05/08 14:52:57

This my first post here, and my first experience with centos, so I hope I'm asking this in the right place.
Question:

1. I have a 64 bit AMD Athlon proc, 1gb of ram, lots of hard drive, and trying to work with the Belkin wifi pci-based card listed above. Can't use yum, since wifi not working. Is there a Centos version of the Madwifi driver for this card?
2. If so, may I have the URL at which to get it?
3. If #2 answer is negative, will ndiswrapper work with it? (I've tried one version of madwifi source code for a 64 bit driver, but the card won't even activate, though the make and make install worked with no errors, and all the modprobe things worked ok, even setting the countrycode. It shows up in network hardware, but no dice activating it...shows up as wifi0, not ath0)

more info: I have a windoze pc on xp right next to it, and eth0 connects nicely to my Centos machine, so I can download anything, and transfer it to the other machine. Don't feel like I'm picking on Centos...best installing distro I've tried yet...congrats on that, but none of the others could keep this card going for more than an hour or so...most couldn't bring it up at all. I pulling out my hair on this one, and I'm bald! har har. My ultimate goal is to create a linux-based "digital audio workstation" , and to say goodbye to redmond forever #$%%^%&$ !

Can anyone point me to a solution here? I'll even buy a new card if I have to, but, dang it all, I already paid for this one.

Thanks a bunch,

joefrommo

Lenard

Post by Lenard » 2007/05/08 17:31:50

OK!!! download the el5 madwifi package for CentOS5; http://dag.wieers.com/rpm/packages/madwifi/

When done consider installing the rpmforge-release package as per: http://dag.wieers.com/rpm/FAQ.php#B