Problem copying files from CentOS 5.11 to Windows 2012R2

Issues related to configuring your network
GibsonPaul

Problem copying files from CentOS 5.11 to Windows 2012R2

Post by GibsonPaul » 2015/10/16 19:17:31

I'm a newbie to CentOS (and *nix in general), so please forgive me if I miss something obvious. I'm a Windows
network administrator by profession who's been assigned to support a few CentOS virtual machines.

Setup: We have an air-gapped network (no Internet access) which has Windows 20012 R2 and Windows 7, with
Active Directory. We have a few CentOS 5.5 and 5.11 virtual machines (our customer uses those versions, so we
have to stay with them); upgrading is not an option. For the sake of this problem, Windows is the file server
and CentOS is the client. All copying is done when logged on to CentOS locally.

Problem: We're having problems copying files from CentOS to Windows. We can connect to the Windows 2012 R2 share and copy files from Windows to CentOS. When we try to copy from CentOS to Windows, we get an error message. 'Error "Invalid parameters" while copying file "/home/pgib...k Account".'. The file name is created on the Windows share but the file size is 0 bytes. We can delete the empty file, create folders and delete folders. We just can't put data in the files.

I suspect the problem is a Windows security setting, but soe far I haven't been able to idenfity it. The regulations we have to follow require security to be turned up very high. We are able to copy files to a Windows 2003 server, but not Windows 2012 R2. Some of the shares I've tried are using Windows Dedup, but not all of them. Because of the security requirements, I can't post logs here; sorry.

Since we have strict security requirements, I'm not sure I'll be allowed to make the change even if it can be identified. At this point I'm considering install Windows NFS server or an FTP server, but I'd rather not add another layer of complexity if I don't need it. Other suggestions/recommendations are welcome.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Problem copying files from CentOS 5.11 to Windows 2012R2

Post by TrevorH » 2015/10/17 13:50:22

If you are using samba on CentOS 5 then make sure you use the alternate set of samba3x* packages not the standard samba* ones. The 3x versions are newer and required to work with Windows 7+.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

GibsonPaul

Re: Problem copying files from CentOS 5.11 to Windows 2012R2

Post by GibsonPaul » 2015/10/20 15:26:32

TrevorH, thanks for the suggestion of using samba3x. Unfortunately it didn't work; I still can't copy files to a Windows 2012 R2 server. I did some more testing with virtual machines. I did a plain vanilla install of Windows 2012 R2 with the minimal configuration to get a share available, and that didn't work either. I also tried creating a new Active Directory forest to compare a stand-alone server vs. a domain-joined computer; no luck there. I had previously suspected one of the security settings we're required to use caused the problem, but now I think it's more fundamental than that.

EDIT: I just built a Windows 2008 R2 server and I am able to copy files to that.