Installing Oracle Database 11g Release 1 (Applicable to CentOS 5)

Installation and support for Oracle DB on CentOS.
AlanBartlett
Forum Moderator

Installing Oracle Database 11g Release 1 (Applicable to Cent

Post by AlanBartlett » 2008/04/06 18:49:22

A guide can be found here:

http://www.idevelopment.info/data/Oracle/DBA_tips/Linux/LINUX_20.shtml

toracat
Site Admin

Re: Installing Oracle Database 11g Release 1 (Applicable to CentOS 5)

Post by toracat » 2008/04/06 18:54:21

Congrats to Alan for the very first posting in this freshly created forum! :-)

AlanBartlett
Forum Moderator

Post by AlanBartlett » 2008/04/07 11:25:00

[quote]
toracat wrote:
Congrats to Alan for the very first posting in this freshly created forum! :-)[/quote]

Although geographically I'm 8 hours ahead of [b]toracat[/b], I am a just little disappointed to see that there are only 4 minutes and 59 seconds between our posts! :roll:

[sulk - tongue in cheek]
Alan.
[/sulk - tongue in cheek]

nylarahotep

Post by nylarahotep » 2008/04/23 14:57:47

Manuals? I don't need no steenkin' manuals. :-x

For what it's worth, here's my tail of running 11g.

I have CentOS 5.1 64-bit on an AMD 64 dual-core. (Only 4 GB of RAM, I may need to increase that.) I downloaded 11g Enterprise and installed on the system The install went surprisingly clean; the installer only barked a a couple of times. First about some missing libraries (C++ compabitbility libraries, I believe), which where easily installed via yum. It next whined about some kernel parameter settings, which were easily changed.

The next problem I had was with the root.sh script. I may have been because I had the installer set up to create an ASM instance for me. The root.sh script wanted to modify the /etc/inittab file, and the SELinux security piece wouldn't let it. I finally just disabled that so that I could run the root.sh script. The install modifes the inittab because ASM installs an init-maintained daemon that is used for the database-to-ASM communication.

Now that I had an ASM instance up and running, I needed to add space to it. I only have 1 physical drive, and I wasn't going to re-partition it at this point. So I created a new logical volume for use as storage. Before ASM would see it, I had to trace the symlinks under /dev/VolGroup00 back to /dev/mapper (huh?), and change the raw device file there so that it was owned by the install userid (oracle). After pointing the ASM filter to this location, it could see and add the lvol to its configuration.

Now, being too lazy to write the create database scripts, I used DBCA to create a database for me. Worked flawlessly. I could also use 'asmcmd' and browse into the ASM data files and see what was created there. I manually created a second instance, and used rman to copy the initial database with the 'duplicate target' command. This worked as well as rman ever works. One thing that has not changed with 11g, RMAN is as idiosyncratic and obtuse as ever. I specifically had to create a BEQUEATH entry in my TNSNAMES file for the target database to make this work. However, it did work, quite well. Again, I could use asmcmd to look at the files and see where it had created the new directory structure and files for the duplicate.

I have not, at this point, done a lot of in-depth testing of the system or the more sophisticated functionality. However, it seems to install fairly well, and the basic operations work as expected.