Problems Installing Oracle Enterprise Edition 10.2.0.1 on CentOS 5

Installation and support for Oracle DB on CentOS.
phelit

Problems Installing Oracle Enterprise Edition 10.2.0.1 on CentOS 5

Post by phelit » 2010/03/29 13:58:32

Hello,

I am having trouble installing Oracle Enterprise edition version 10.2.0.1 on a server with CentOS 5 installed. Unfortunatelly I'm kind of a newbie with anithing about Linux and related. I followed all of the instructions in the installation guide (I used the Red Hat 5 guide), but when I start the installation program I get a missing library for java. I checked better and I found that my installation is missing the GNOME-LIBS package. So I downloaded it (gnome-libs-1.4.1.2.tar.gz). I started the ./configure and it tells me I need to install the GTX. So i downloaded the gtk+-2.16.6.tar.gz and the gtk+-1.2.10.tar.gz. They both say that I need to install the GLIB (NOT user friendly this installation till now!!). So I download GLIB 2.22.0 (the required version was 1.2.8 but I couldn't find it and the install says that if the cversion is higher it is ok). I do the whole installation (./configure, make and make install) It all goes ok, but when I try to install gtk again, the version 1.2.10 says that GLIB is still NOT installed, while the gtk 2.16.6 says that he needs the GLIB version 2.24 or 26 now I don't remember. But the 2.22 was the Highest version I could find.

After that I tried to understand why the gtk 1.2.10 can't see the installation of GLIB. I wrote the line:

rpm -q glib

but I get no results from the query. So I try to see the whole list of packages writing

rpm -l

but I het no results from this query....how come?

Can anybody of you help me here?

Why are these packages not getting installed?

What am I doing wrong? I checked all the installation process more than 10 times to be sure I did everything correctly....but I can't get the hang of it!!

Thank you for any help you will be able to give me. I'm available for any clarification.

Phelit Leafwise

chuina

Re: Problems Installing Oracle Enterprise Edition 10.2.0.1 on CentOS 5

Post by chuina » 2010/03/29 16:14:18

Welcome to the [color=003300]CentOS[/color].

Starting by taking a look at [url=http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewforum.php?forum=47]FAQ & Readme First[/url] is always helpful.

[quote]phelit wrote:
...I am having trouble installing Oracle Enterprise edition version 10.2.0.1 on a server with [b]CentOS 5[/b] installed...[/quote]
The latest release is [url=http://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS5.4]CentOS5.4[/url].

[quote]phelit wrote:
...rpm -q glib but I get no results from the query. So I try to see the whole list of packages writing...[/quote]

Try this command to see the list of gtk,glib,java:
[code]yum list gtk\* glib\* java\*[/code]

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Problems Installing Oracle Enterprise Edition 10.2.0.1 on Ce

Post by pschaff » 2010/03/29 18:27:52

[quote]
phelit wrote:
Hello,

... I checked better and I found that my installation is missing the GNOME-LIBS package. So I downloaded it (gnome-libs-1.4.1.2.tar.gz). I started the ./configure and it tells me I need to install the GTX. So i downloaded the gtk+-2.16.6.tar.gz and the gtk+-1.2.10.tar.gz. T...[/quote]

That is your first (apparent) mistake. Reading the material [b]chuina[/b] recommended will, among other things, lead you to the page explaining why [url=http://wiki.centos.org/PackageManagement/SourceInstalls]Source Installs[/url] are [b]highly[/b] discouraged. You need to install any required dependencies using yum or the GUI tool pirut. Anything you install from source will be invisible to rpm, yum, or other package management tools.

phelit

Post by phelit » 2010/03/30 07:41:25

Thank you all for your help. I would love to use the yum command to install the packages...but my server has no internet connection! None what so ever! It doesnt even have the IP address set.
I might have the possibility to configure it in order to make it go online, but where I work, the connections pass through a firewall that blocks any downloads from FTP. Does the CentOS updates arrive through FTP or standard connecition? Because if I get the updates and packages via normal connection I can actually update everything easily.

Returning to the problem, the command yum list command gives a lot of results, but apparently (as predicted) the GLIB 2.22 I installed manually doesn't appear.

I'll try to get an internet connection and see a bit how yum works.

Thank you for your help!

Phelit

chuina

Post by chuina » 2010/03/30 10:55:27

[quote]phelit wrote:
...but my server has no internet connection! None what so ever! It doesnt even have the IP address set.[/quote]
You can install software from the Media (CD/DVD) using yum. The command from Media install is:
[code]yum --disablerepo=\* --enablerepo=c5-media install <packagename>[/code]
Assuming you've change the with desired package name and the CD/DVD mounted in /media.

[quote]phelit wrote:
...but where I work, the connections pass through a firewall that blocks any downloads from FTP. Does the CentOS updates arrive through FTP or standard connecition?[/quote]
Yum works with http,ftp and rsync. So, after connecting to the internet simply try to install using yum.
If fail then edit the [b]/etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo[/b] file and commentout the 'mirrorlist=....' line by putting a [b]#[/b] before it and enable the 'baseurl=....' line by removing the [b]#[/b] before it , so they will be like:
[code]
#mirrorlist=http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo=os
baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/os/$basearch/[/code]
Now try to install again.

[quote]phelit wrote:
...Returning to the problem, the command yum list command gives a lot of results, but apparently (as predicted) the GLIB 2.22 I installed manually doesn't appear.[/quote]
This is one of the reason for discouraging source install.

As [b]pschaff[/b] suggested for using [b]yum[/b] or the [i]GUI[/i] tool [b]pirut[/b] (It is in Applications>Add/Remove Software), is the smartest way to install software.

phelit

Post by phelit » 2010/03/30 15:09:40

Hello again.

I managed to connect the server to the internet. I made a yum update and it updated 200 and so packages correctly. So I decided to install the packages required by Oracle (the ones missing)....

gnome-libs is not found by yum as well as xscreensaver! But they are required in order to start the Oracle Installation! I know that the installation guide I have is for Red Hat and not for CentOS (not supported) but they should be the same! Why do I get that the packages do not exist? The install program won't start giving this error:

[oracle@localhost database]$ Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /tmp/OraInstall2010-03-30_03-01-23PM/jre/1.4.2/lib/i386/libawt.so: libXp.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
at sun.security.action.LoadLibraryAction.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at sun.awt.NativeLibLoader.loadLibraries(Unknown Source)
at sun.awt.DebugHelper.(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.(Unknown Source)

Any help? PLZ! :-o

chuina

Post by chuina » 2010/03/30 15:17:22

[code]yum --enablerepo=extras list xscreensaver\*[/code]

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2010/03/30 15:20:49

There is no package gnome-libs. Perhaps libgnome?
[code]
[root@c5 ~]# rpm -qf /usr/lib/libXp.so.6
libXp-1.0.0-8.1.el5
[/code]
xscreensaver is in [extras].

Try[code]yum --disablerepo \* --enablerepo base,extras,updates clean all
yum --disablerepo \* --enablerepo base,extras,updates install libXp xscreensaver libgnome[/code]

phelit

Post by phelit » 2010/04/13 14:42:52

Hi!

I've been busy a lot. Sorry I never replied.

You help was great! I managed to install Oracle no problem and now everything is fine!

Thank you all again for the help!