Upgrading from CentOS 6 to 7

General support questions
Qu0ll

Upgrading from CentOS 6 to 7

Post by Qu0ll » 2014/07/26 02:00:53

I have a precious CentOS 6 machine that has been lovingly configured over a few years. Is there a way to upgrade it to CentOS 7 *in place* in such a way that all software will still work and all settings will be preserved?

chemal

Re: Upgrading from CentOS 6 to 7

Post by chemal » 2014/07/26 03:06:56

Qu0ll wrote:I have a precious CentOS 6 machine that has been lovingly configured over a few years. Is there a way to upgrade it to CentOS 7 *in place* in such a way that all software will still work and all settings will be preserved?
There is this precious girl I loved, love, and have cultivated over many, many years. But alas, now she's old and dry. Can I upgrade her *in place*? In such a way that all the tricks I teached her (details omitted here) will be preserved?

vonskippy

Post by vonskippy » 2014/07/26 03:18:08

A machine that precious is sure to have exacting documentation on all the apps and their configurations, and backups made with loving care.

So just do a fresh CentOS 7 install, patch to date, load the shiny new apps, learn all about systemd, configure your still wet behind it's ears machine, and then tenderly move your data over.

No in-place upgrade ever works without a cluster of problems that usually takes WAY longer to find and fix then a fresh install.

Now's a good time to update your server diary with the current OS methodology, and to test your backup strategy.

It's always the best (safest) to keep your old system around, and spin up the new system on a new box (at the very least, use a new set of hard drives - leaving the old drives untouched just in case). That way if the new system has problems, you can continue to run on the old system until the kinks are worked out.

That said, what's so super duper about CentOS 7 that makes you want to abandon your oh so precious CentOS 6 box? You have another 6 years (until 2020) of CentOS 6 updates, so there's absolutely no hurry.
For the 2.5^15th time :: Better Details = Better Answers

tommyhp2

Post by tommyhp2 » 2014/07/26 21:39:23

vonskippy wrote:That said, what's so super duper about CentOS 7 that makes you want to abandon your oh so precious CentOS 6 box? You have another 6 years (until 2020) of CentOS 6 updates, so there's absolutely no hurry.
So far... "yum autoremove" owns ;)