Newbie help - Centos 7 on a Thinkpad x61s

General support questions
ThinkP

Newbie help - Centos 7 on a Thinkpad x61s

Post by ThinkP » 2014/10/20 18:00:25

Hi guys.
i need some help cause i'm totally new to the linux world, so please be kind if my questions seem dumb...

i've bought a pretty awesome tp x61s L7500, ram 3gb.
now i've tried to set it up with arch, manjaro and mageia, but eventually centos7 seemed to me the best solution.
i've tested the kde gui, it felt kinda "heavy", so i went for the gnome.

now, for the biggest part it goes flawlessly out of the "box", but still have a pair of issues...
1- the trackpoint scroll problem.
from http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/TrackPoint i had some hint, but all the links were dead... here on the forum i found this viewtopic.php?f=21&t=22896&p=106851&hil ... nt#p106851
but it is referred to centos 5. anyway, i tracked down the file /dev/input/mice. i got it, but unfortunately i have no idea of how to edit it... i tried gedit but had no joy. the OS says it will look for apps able to do it but found nothing...

this takes me to problem n°2.
2- how the heck do i find apps or how can i install them?? i've tried from applications>system tool> software, but even if i can find something i'd like to have it always remains "download pending" and nothing happens.
i had no luck installing third parts apps either. i tried with vlc because the bundled "video" app seems not to be able to play anything ("you have to download the codec" says, i tried, nothing happens...) , but vlc download page for RHEL takes me to something called "rpmforge" with two folders... and i'm totally lost with them. what should i do??

3- last thing.
very stupid.
every time i power up the tp, i found bluetooth on and i have to switch it off manually. i'd like it to be the other way around...
how can i do it?

many thanks you all,

F

Vladi

Re: Newbie help - Centos 7 on a Thinkpad x61s

Post by Vladi » 2014/10/20 19:24:32

1. Interesting. I have t60 with centos 6, and the track works fine.
"/dev/input/mice" no way, to edit it. The os uses these files. Try elsewhere, /etc for example.

use yum for package management. you need some 3rd party repos. link
I use epel, nux-dextop. Enough for me.

Find out how to turn off in software way. Then put command in: /etc/rc.d/rc.local file. This will the last command at the end of the boot process.

ThinkP

Post by ThinkP » 2014/10/21 09:48:35

Vladi wrote:1. Interesting. I have t60 with centos 6, and the track works fine.
"/dev/input/mice" no way, to edit it. The os uses these files. Try elsewhere, /etc for example.
so you're the right person to talk to :) mine is ok, only scrolling with the middle button is off.
here they give some advice: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_co ... TrackPoint
with xinput it works fine, but it goes back off every time i switch off the pc.
they say to put the lines in .xsessionrc file, but i have no idea where that file is, nor i can find it from the search tab...
use yum for package management. you need some 3rd party repos. link
I use epel, nux-dextop. Enough for me.
the page for nux-dextop has old urls...
but this is not the real problem. the question is: i have a folder on the desktop for e.g. tp_smapi (a gui for the trakpoint). how do i install it?
if i go with "sudo install" on the terminal it asks me to specify the destination folder and i'm afraid i'll make a mess.
any other solution?

ThinkP

Post by ThinkP » 2014/10/21 18:02:22

Vladi wrote:Find out how to turn off in software way.
systemctl and chkconfig don't work...
i've set bluetooth off in all level 2345 but at startup my bluetooth is on anyway... :(

Vladi

Post by Vladi » 2014/10/21 22:01:53

"with xinput it works fine, but it goes back off every time i switch off the pc.
they say to put the lines in .xsessionrc file, but i have no idea where that file is, nor i can find it from the search tab..."

Well i cant find it too. I dont know, how to start it before you login. :?:
Maybe .bash_profile ? Not the best solution.
btw: I did not know, the trackpoint can scroll. :D

"the page for nux-dextop has old urls..."
Here it is:
http://li.nux.ro/repos.html
ugly but working.

"if i go with "sudo install" on the terminal it asks"

No, no!! Here you do not have sudo default. use normal root user in terminál:

Code: Select all

su -
After that, you can install with yum package manager:

Code: Select all

yum install xyz
Here: link

First install yumex. A great package manager gui from epel repo!