Issues with CentOS 7: Had to give up finally and revert to 6

General support questions
MilindPatil

Issues with CentOS 7: Had to give up finally and revert to 6

Post by MilindPatil » 2014/10/21 17:41:39

Not sure if this is just me or if there are others who have faced similar issues.

On my HP Proliant DL580 G5 I simply could not install CentOS 7 as it does not detect the RAID volume. I struggled a lot thinking my server is bad and after spending a lot of time, I decided to give a shot to CentOS 6.5 and, surprise!, I had no issues whatsoever and installtion was breeze. My DL580 G5 is flawlessly running on CentOS 6.5.

On my Dell Precision 490, I was able to install CentOS 7 successfully, but right after logging in, I started getting error "Exception Emasl 0x0 SAct 0x0.......". I realized this could be another CentOS 7 fiasco, and reverted back to 6.5 clean install and again, I am having no issues with 6.5 whatsoever. My Precision 490, too, is flawlessly running on CentOS 6.5.

Having faced trouble on two different machines, I can't help but think that as of now, CentOS 7 may be a half-baked pie.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Issues with CentOS 7: Had to give up finally and revert

Post by TrevorH » 2014/10/21 21:13:31

If you had read the release notes for el7 then you would have known that it no longer includes the cciss kernel module required to support older HP Smart Array controllers, as shipped with e.g. their G5 hardware ;-)

There is a workaround for this that involves passing a parameter to the new hpsa module to tell it to support older, unknown controllers. Once installed you can then download and install kmod-cciss from ELRepo and get that to manage the controller instead. The cciss driver is included in el6 so that's why it works.

You don't post enough information to tell what the problem is/was on your Precision 490.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

MilindPatil

Post by MilindPatil » 2014/10/22 03:36:07

TrevorH, thanks very much for the reply and shading some light. As far the workaround, you said "Once installed you can download and install kmod-cciss...." But the question is, how can I install the CentOS if it can not see any disc whatsoever, in the first place. I am fairly new to Linux world, so please educate me.

I am afraid I can't give you more details on Precision 490 problem since I already have installed my full-fledged LAMP server on it with 6.5. I should have taken screen shots with my smartphone while it was spitting out error on CentOS 7.

But I can still work on workarounds for DL580 since it is still virgin (nothing else is installed on it yet other than minimal server).

I am sure impressed by the community support of CentOS, and I am very glad I picked this distro!

Thanks
Milind

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2014/10/22 08:10:39

The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke