Migrating to CentOS

General support questions
upnort

Migrating to CentOS

Post by upnort » 2014/10/22 00:02:37

Greetings,

First post. Long time Linux user but a CentOS/RH newbie. :) I don't find a general question subforum so please move this post as needed.

I have been asked to help a local business owner who wants to standardize all systems on CentOS. Further, the owner wants to save kilowatts and migrate some physical servers to virtual, such as a web server, DNS servers, and a couple of Proxmox containers.

As a CentOS/RH newbie, I admit I have much to learn. I am not a sysadmin, but I am looking forward to the experience. In that light, I much appreciate opinions about:

* Using CentOS 6.5 vs. CentOS 7.
* Using KVM vs. other virtualization (docker?) options.

I realize CentOS 7 comes with the additional learning curves of GNOME 3, systemd, firewalld, etc., but also has four more years until EOL. And the owner thinks that 6 years to EOL for 6.5 will go by too fast. For myself I am not finding GNOME 3 too painful or broken (just challenging to customize). :)

Much appreciated are opinions about migrating the physical systems to virtual. I believe some of the owner's physical systems are running Mandriva. I have a copies of the RHEL migration and virtualization guides. I am familiar with VirtualBox while the owner is familiar with Proxmox. Neither of us are familiar with KVM or other virtualization technologies.

Of late I have been tinkering in test machines with CentOS 6.5, 7, and Fedora 21 alpha. Yet right now I am so new to CentOS/RH thinking and design that I thought a post to the forum might help me get my nose pointed in the right direction.

I am not adverse about reading. Useful links are welcomed.

Thanks for any help. :)