gnome-disks segfaults centos-7

General support questions
jmario

gnome-disks segfaults centos-7

Post by jmario » 2019/07/01 06:59:31

Problem with gnome-disks on CentOS-7, three different approaches to a fix failed.

Problematic Package: gnome-disk-utility-3.28.3-1.el7.x86_64
Problem program: gnome-disks
Hardware: Lenovo T430
memory stats from top:
KiB Mem : 11833976 total, 431760 free, 8929320 used, 2472896 buff/cache
KiB Swap: 15624188 total, 12364820 free, 3259368 used. 2123712 avail Mem
disk space: 7G free

About a month ago I did an update (yum update) on my CentOS-7 system. Everything went fine and I was happy.

Recently I went to use the gnome-disks utility and was treated to "Segmentation fault (core dumped)". Gnome-disks segfaults when invoked by either a normal user or root. I've used gnome-disks many times in the past on this system (generally for setting up SD cards for RaspberryPi systems) with no issues. The only thing I can think of that is different from when gnome-disks ran problem free in the past is my having done a yum update.

Approach 1:
Suspecting a corrupted gnome-disks I did a "yum remove gnome-disk-utility". Verified gonme-disks is gone by "which gnome-disks". Reinstalled with "yum install gnome-disk-utility". No joy, invoking the fresh install of gnome-disks still responds with "Segmentation fault (core dumped)".

Approach 2:
Thought I'd try a gnome-disk-utility build from source. Got gnome-disk-utility-3.30.2.tar.xz and found it uses meson (which is new to me) to build and install. Meson is apparently not installed by default so I did "yum install meson". Result was a list of "Transaction check error"s, all Python related. Did "yum update Python". Still get the same list of Python related "Transaction check error"s.

Approach 3:
OK, I'll try an older version of the source that uses the familiar configure/make dance. Got gnome-disk-utility-3.32.0.tar.xz. On ./configure get "configure: error: /bin/sh build-aux/config.sub ./configure failed". Fixed the error by adding --build=x86_64 in the arguments section of ./config and now ./configure complains about "configure: error: Package requirements (udisks2 >= 2.1.1) were not met: No package 'udisks2' found ... ". Doing "yum list installed | grep udisks2" show that libudisks2.x86_64 2.7.3-8.el7 and udisks2.x86_64 2.7.3-8.el7 are installed but apparently pkg-config can not find them. Doing "find / -iname "*udisks2*" | grep pc" does not find any udisks2 related .pc file that would help pkg-config locate udisks2.

Approach 4:
Ask for help. I am at the limit of my ability here. Not finding anything helpful via Google. Can anyone provide a fix or a hint?

jmario

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: gnome-disks segfaults centos-7

Post by TrevorH » 2019/07/01 12:12:16

Sounds like time to use a different utility. Try fdisk or parted.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke