vmcore file analysis

General support questions
sarchaur

vmcore file analysis

Post by sarchaur » 2019/07/12 15:53:22

Hello Forum ,

My centos server is getting rebooted CentOS Linux release 7.2.1511 (Core) and we unable to get complete vmcore file any suggestions bug

Thank you
Sarvesh

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: vmcore file analysis

Post by TrevorH » 2019/07/12 16:06:46

Your first step is to run yum update

CentOS 7.2 dates from November 2015 so is now 4 years out of date and missing lots of high severity security fixes. There are 54 thousand lines in the kernel rpm changelog between kernel 3.10.0-327 (the initial 7.2 kernel) and the current one. That's potentially 50,000+ fixes you are missing and that is just the kernel and doesn't include all the other packages you have installed.

If you run 7.2 you are missing all the fixes for all the Intel processor vulnerabilities, the recent remote denial of service "sack" attack where anyone can crash your machine if you have any tcp conections into the machine allowed. You're probably also missing all the lovely bugs from the last 4 years that got fancy names and their own websites.

No-one supports a 7.2 kernel so it is pointless debugging it to see what happened. Update and see if the issue is fixed and then think about debugging it afterwards.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke