Migration to the CentOS

General support questions
Kurkin.MS

Migration to the CentOS

Post by Kurkin.MS » 2019/07/16 09:55:43

Good day.
Dear colleagues, we are working on the issue of server migration to the CentOS operating system, please clarify the following points:
1. Is it possible to migrate settings from existing RHEL environments (Network settings, disk settings, java settings, jdbc driver, system settings, user settings)?
2. Please specify the list of default packages for distributions.
3. How often do you release security patches and critical updates yourself? Is there a binding to public signature / vulnerability repositories?
4. Please specify the version and names of the infrastructure drivers (network, graphics, esxi).
5. What developer / administrator utilities are available in editions?
6. Is there java 1.7 support?
7. Which jdk, jre distributions are included in the OS and are they supported?
8. Is there support for Wildfly 16, Postgres Pro 11.4?
9. Please specify what compilers of programming languages ​​are?
10. Tell me, are there any problems with the work with the package manager (earlier such problems were observed on technical support)?
Have you conducted a comparative analysis of the functionality and performance of distributions such as CentOS with RedHat, CentOS, OpenSUSE, Debian, Ubuntu, Astra Linux, Alt Linux? If yes, please send the results.
11. Is there any support for working with backup systems?
12. Is there technical support for Centos?
Last edited by Kurkin.MS on 2019/07/22 07:30:52, edited 2 times in total.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Migration to the CentOS

Post by TrevorH » 2019/07/16 12:03:35

CentIS is a clone of RHEL, built from teh same sources with the same options enabled. The only changes that are made are to remove Redhat branding and logos from the rebuild. Otherwise it is the same thing.

I am not sure how valid this https://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/MigrationGuide is but it used to work to move between RHEL and CentOS for 5 and 6, no idea if it still works for CentOS/RHEL 7.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke