Cannot login after restart or exit xserver session

General support questions
TheMuffinMan

Cannot login after restart or exit xserver session

Post by TheMuffinMan » 2019/07/23 03:04:05

I have been trying to install my graphics card, assuming that after the process I can reboot my pc and will be able to login to the desktop. As of right now, if I reboot I will be taken to the grey background screen for CentOS 7 upon reboot and no login prompt will appear the the screen will turn black. I can also not disable an xserver session without deleting everything that I did during that session, all installs, updates, and downloads. So I cannot actually install my graphics card. Other than that it works amazing and I would like to get it running on my computer. If anyone could help I would really appreciate it!

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Cannot login after restart or exit xserver session

Post by TrevorH » 2019/07/23 09:41:45

What graphics card? Post the output from lspci -nn | grep -i vga

How are you installing it? What did you do exactly?
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

TheMuffinMan

Post by TheMuffinMan » 2019/07/23 11:15:02

So I found out that it was going to a login prompt, but every single time it will take 30 minutes to reach that prompt screen. It was for an Nvidia p5000 quadro. I am trying to switch to Red Hat because I could just not imagine a fix to the matter. I am on a Gigabyte Ex 299 Designare gaming mother board, which is a bit quirky as most motherboards built for custom workstations are. All only tested on Windows really, some on Mac. Then I am running the Linux off of an M.2. But it is a good one, a Samsung 970 Pro, then 10 cores and 128gb of Memory. I am having better luck with Red Hat and made it to the same problem CentOS also presented, which was ERROR: An error occurred while performing the step: "Building kernel modules". See /var/log/nvidia-installer.log for details. I hope I can get it figured out.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2019/07/23 11:50:17

Perhaps if you answered the questions you were asked we might be able to help.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke