Extremely slow installation

General support questions
hunter86_bg

Re: Extremely slow installation

Post by hunter86_bg » 2019/09/10 15:51:13

You can try to install on another machine and add a newer kernel from epel/elrepo . Yhen jist migrate the OS disk to yoour problematic system and boot last (bottomm) entry.

If it boots, just rebuild the initramfs for latest kernel and then reboot to test.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2019/09/10 16:28:18

Back up a step. Since you're not the OP of this thread, can you confirm how you created your install media? USB Stick? Created how? Did you check the sha256sum of the iso image against the list published in the CentOS 7.6 release notes in our wiki?
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

macNCheeseB

Post by macNCheeseB » 2019/09/10 17:52:09

TrevorH wrote:
2019/09/10 16:28:18
Back up a step. Since you're not the OP of this thread, can you confirm how you created your install media? USB Stick? Created how? Did you check the sha256sum of the iso image against the list published in the CentOS 7.6 release notes in our wiki?
Sure, I downloaded the images I am using (I have tried DVD and Everything isos) from one of the mirrors on the centos site. I then used the "Fedora Media Writer" to burn the image to a USB stick (Samsung 32GB) and have that on a hub with the keyboard/mouse attached to the computer. The image was verified on write and also have done the option to check the media and install version which has confirmed the image was good. I have even installed this same image on an i5 system I have here and so know that at least the image was good for that install.

macNCheeseB

Post by macNCheeseB » 2019/09/10 19:54:05

Ok, I am finally making progress in my setup and installation. The key is the fact that I am constrained to use UEFI and not legacy BIOS. While searching for a number of boot config items I came across this with regard to xdriver options:

xdriver=vesa : use the BIOS's VESA implementation. With UEFI, there is no VESA, there's EFIFB instead.

So, I set the install in basic graphic mode to use "nomodeset xdriver=efifb" and it is finally gotten me to an installation screen with options to install. After selecting options that I want it is now installing at a nice clip. I hope it will be done in the next 15 minutes or so and then I will check it out. I'll post here once I have played with it for a bit or I run into some other issue (really hoping this isn't the case). Thanks all for your patience.

macNCheeseB

Post by macNCheeseB » 2019/09/11 12:37:45

Thanks for letting me hijack this thread. The install process was a little slower than I liked, it got hung up on some post-installation tasks but is all up and running now. I played with it a bit and everything seems to be working. The boot was a slow, so I may look at that in a little bit.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2019/09/11 12:58:25

Most likely the installed kernel parameters are missing any fixes you made on the install command line.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

desertcat

Post by desertcat » 2019/09/12 00:15:01

macNCheeseB wrote:
2019/09/11 12:37:45
Thanks for letting me hijack this thread. The install process was a little slower than I liked, it got hung up on some post-installation tasks but is all up and running now. I played with it a bit and everything seems to be working. The boot was a slow, so I may look at that in a little bit.
Congratulations !!! The post-installation can at times spin a while, but once everything is installed, it works much better. You might notice that with each boot it boots faster. "Jaguar", aka the "Trashcan Monster" , was a first a bit slow before it got to the login, and then getting me to the the GUI, now it boots much faster. "Jaguar" originally was an HP WS that ran Windows 7, is about 10 years old, had a Intel "duo" dual core processor and 1 GB of RAM, but expandable to 8, and a 250GB HDD. We hacked it just a wee bit, slapped in a quad core processor, threw in some old DDR2 RAM I had laying around, and bought 4 GB more expanding it to a whole 6GB (!!!), and maxed out the HDD to 500 GB!!! It is no "Leopard" my WS, that makes Jaguar look sick, but all things taken together it makes a fine test bed. Just don't expect that you are going to get the same type of performance on something the size of a deck of playing cards, as you would on a NEW full size desktop or even a NEW Laptop. That you got it to RUN in itself is AMAZING!!
Again, Congratulations on a job well done!!

D'Cat

macNCheeseB

Post by macNCheeseB » 2019/09/25 12:58:28

I know there was a lot of work on this thread and in case anybody runs into this issue in the future I wanted to give a quick update.

With the release of 7.7 (1908) the installation is much much quicker and easier. The install was like 20 seconds to get to the selection screens and performance after install was much better. I would urge anybody working with the newer Atoms to use the latest drop of CentOS.

ranshalit

Post by ranshalit » 2019/10/04 05:21:44

This issue is quite strange,
We plan to make upgrade to centos8, so I will install centos 8 on the same board (congatec Com epxress type-10, E3940) and see if it make ant difference.

desertcat

Post by desertcat » 2019/10/04 08:46:15

ranshalit wrote:
2019/10/04 05:21:44
This issue is quite strange,
We plan to make upgrade to centos8, so I will install centos 8 on the same board (congatec Com epxress type-10, E3940) and see if it make ant difference.
"You'll be SORRY!!" :twisted: Releases of Xyz.0 are full of bugs, programs that worked fine no longer work, and so on and so forth. It is a giant waste of time. Now if all you want to do is kick the tires of 8.0, that's one thing; if you plan to use it as your desktop, that's another thing. Make sure that someone that loves you has the tel. number for the nearest funny farm, so that the nice young men in their clean white coats can come and take you away. Ha, ha!! He, hee, to the Funny Farm!!

'nuff said!! You have been WARNED!!!