Unable to get intel graphics (HD 630) working

General support questions
flange

Re: Unable to get intel graphics (HD 630) working

Post by flange » 2019/08/30 10:19:20

chemal wrote:
2019/08/29 16:46:35
OpenGL is non-vital part of the nvidia driver. Just not installing this part is something different than making sure the card is only used for cuda. Otherwise you wouldn't have started this thread. The switch '--no-opengl-files' was useful for setups like yours in the old days when nvidias run file would replace (i.e. overwrite) the system's OpenGL stack, but nowadays they can coexist. Even then '--no-opengl-files' was only the first step in the setup. Everybody who uses nvidia's run file breaks his system and has to fix it afterwards. That's why I said: use a packaged version of the driver. Elrepo, Nvidia themselves, Rpmfusion, and Negativo17 have such packages. Elrepo is usually recommended here because it normally works out of the box. But it's an all-in-one package and assumes you want to use your nvidia card for everything. Personally, I'd rather start with Elrepo and then reconfigure X to use the Intel GPU. Using a packaged driver is also what nvidia recommends. The run file is only for people who know what they do (whatever that means).
Thanks for the detailed explanation, I'll take your advice and give this a go.