Can't boot after kernel update, headers cannot be found

General support questions
HeydoubleU

Can't boot after kernel update, headers cannot be found

Post by HeydoubleU » 2019/10/05 02:10:06

I'm on centOS 7.7.1908 trying to update from kernel 3.10.0 to 5.3.2 following these instructions
https://www.tecmint.com/install-upgrade ... -centos-7/

Trying to boot I get an error:

Code: Select all

Failed to start Crash recovery kernel arming
Changing crashkernel=auto to crashkernel=256M that error no longer shows but it still doesn't boot to the desktop. Trying startx I get

Fatal server error: (EE) no screens found (EE)
I thought maybe it was a video driver issue so I tried reinstalling nvidia drivers but that fails saying

kernel headers cannot be found
So far I've been unsuccessful trying to install headers with what I've been able to find, hoping to get help on doing just that but I've included all this other information in case it indicates a different problem, thanks!

desertcat

Re: Can't boot after kernel update, headers cannot be found

Post by desertcat » 2019/10/05 05:52:16

HeydoubleU wrote:
2019/10/05 02:10:06
I'm on centOS 7.7.1908 trying to update from kernel 3.10.0 to 5.3.2 following these instructions
https://www.tecmint.com/install-upgrade ... -centos-7/

Trying to boot I get an error:

Failed to start Crash recovery kernel arming
Changing crashkernel=auto to crashkernel=256M that error no longer shows but it still doesn't boot to the desktop. Trying startx I get

Fatal server error: (EE) no screens found (EE)
I thought maybe it was a video driver issue so I tried reinstalling nvidia drivers but that fails saying

kernel headers cannot be found
So far I've been unsuccessful trying to install headers with what I've been able to find, hoping to get help on doing just that but I've included all this other information in case it indicates a different problem, thanks!
In time it *may* work as 7.7 just came out, but really CentOS is designed to work the stock Kernel which right now is 3.10.0-1062.1.2.el7.x86_64. If you are running nvidia, then kmod-nvidia is matched to the stock kernel. You could *try* going to the Nvidia web site and download the drivers for 5.3.2 but then you are stuck with compiling the drivers for the kernel every time there is a new kernel update. Just for FUN... the stock kernel should still be on your system. See if you can boot it. If not ask TrevorH our local guru how you can re-install the stock kernel. Sorry man.

D'Cat

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Can't boot after kernel update, headers cannot be found

Post by TrevorH » 2019/10/05 11:37:27

If you installed the ELRepo kernel-ml package then its headers are in the kernel-ml-headers package.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke