deleting WIN PAR brought system to grub rescue

General support questions
KaunasLT

deleting WIN PAR brought system to grub rescue

Post by KaunasLT » 2024/03/21 20:51:57

Hello.

I was converting a dual boot centos7/win10 to a centos 7 ONLY system with its contents kept installed on the linux side.

i used gparted to resize NTFS partition as the linux disk could not interface with it. It when got brought to the type "extended".

using "lvextend /dev/cl/root -l100%FREE" command didnt work, so I used linux disk to delete the extended type.

Now system is in grub rescue and cant boot. im certain i didnt mess with the root partition.

booting with live usb into rescue centos mode and gaining a shell i read about a command "chroot /mnt/sysimage /bin/bash" but gets error "chroot: failed to run command /bin/bash".

also, under /boot I cant see a grub.cfg

doing grub2-install /dev/sda it responds with error usr/lib/grub/i386-pc/modinfo.sh doesnt exist.

please help. can provide with more info if needed

KaunasLT

Re: deleting WIN PAR brought system to grub rescue

Post by KaunasLT » 2024/03/21 23:44:52

okay i already reinstalled cuz i couldnt see any linux partition and neither could centos usb rescue.

but I still wanna know. when making the windows partition extended, should i have rebooted inorder to see the free space allocated to root? the reason i deleted it was cuz i had 250gb as root and 250gb as extended partition