Centos 7 anti-virus installation

Issues related to applications and software problems
gilh

Centos 7 anti-virus installation

Post by gilh » 2014/08/03 14:38:17

Hi CentOS forums,

I'm investigating the new CentOS 7 release (7.0.1406) and have immediately found a problem installing the anti-virus suite 'clamav'. This is what I've used previously on CentOS/RHEL6, although I note that it's mentioned on this site that ~"you'd wish it wasn't free so you could request a refund"!

As root I added the EPEL 7 beta repo and had no issue installing 'clamav' and 'clamav-update' (understanding the latter was necessary to enable the 'freshclam' database update mechanism.) However, I'm unable to start the systemd service (via variants of "systemctl start clam(|av|d)"), which all fail with "Failed to issue method call: Unit clam*.service failed to load: No such file or directory".

Running "updatedb" and "locate clam" reveals that there's no 'clam*.service' files so I assumed more was necessary to install. Checking the EPEL repo I saw that there was also 'clamav-server' and 'clamav-server-systemd' so I added these and gained '/usr/lib/systemd/system/clamd@.service'. However, systemctl start clamd still fails with the same message.

I'm guessing that clamav.net have submitted their latest database files into the EPEL repo but haven't as yet added a 'systemctl' mechanism. So has anyone successfully added the necessary files/settings to make this work? Alternatively, does anyone recommend another anti-virus service?

Hope someone's had more success than me! Thanks in advance,
Gil

szilagyic

Re: Centos 7 anti-virus installation

Post by szilagyic » 2014/11/10 19:27:53

Having the same issues here and trying to figure this one out. Has anybody found a solution to this?

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Centos 7 anti-virus installation

Post by TrevorH » 2014/11/11 00:49:03

It appears to me to be broken. I did an install to test and the file /usr/lib/systemd/system/clamd@.service needs to be renamed to /usr/lib/systemd/system/clamd.service in order to work. Then /etc/freshclam.conf needs editing and freshclam needs running. Then you discover there is no /etc/clamd.d/*.conf file so the daemon will not start up since there's no config for it. At this point I gave up, it obviously wasn't even slightly tested before release...
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke