How to Install Mate desktop on a VMWare guest

Issues related to applications and software problems
taylorkh

How to Install Mate desktop on a VMWare guest

Post by taylorkh » 2014/11/09 19:09:11

I built a "Gome Desktop" install of CentOS 7 in VMWare Player. I boots and seems to run fine. I then tried to install teh Mate desktop. I tried several simple methods I found in my searches - basically installing and enabling the ELEL repo and then doing a group install of the Mate desktop. This is basically the same level of effort as required to install Mate on Ubuntu or Debian - both of which I have done successfully.

I then came across this post viewtopic.php?f=48&t=47670&p=209417&hilit=MATE#p209417 which contains a rather thorough script. I ran this as instructed. If I leave the Gnome desktop installed and then boot the VM I am brought to a text terminal to login. If I do so and then "startx" I am taken to the Gnome desktop. I see no way of switching to Mate.

If I remove Gnome using the above referenced script I am again taken to a text terminal at boot and startx does not work. It flashes a gui looking screen for a second and then returns to the text terminal.

I am obviously missing something. Can anyone help to sort me out?

TIA,

Ken

p.s. I have restored a backup of the VM between my various attempts so I do not think I have stepped on my own feet :D

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: How to Install Mate desktop on a VMWare guest

Post by TrevorH » 2014/11/09 20:49:11

On the screen where it asks for your username, there is an almost invisible little twisty (upside down triangle) under the username box. Click that and you can choose which desktop to use.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

taylorkh

Post by taylorkh » 2014/11/09 22:06:40

Thanks TrevorH,

I am not booted to a gui. There is no login box, only the text prompt. If I startx I am taken to the Gnome 3 desktop. I do not see any way on that screen to change my desktop selection.

Ken

taylorkh

Post by taylorkh » 2014/11/09 22:18:07

I have checked systemctl get-default and it shows graphical.target so I am not sure why I am starting at a text interface???

Ken