Authorization not available. Check if polkit service is running or see debug message for more information.

Issues related to applications and software problems
sudheerp494

Re: Authorization not available. Check if polkit service is running or see debug message for more information.

Post by sudheerp494 » 2019/04/08 20:06:51

I have found below output. Please let me know.

#cat /etc/krb5.conf | grep include
includedir /var/lib/sss/pubconf/krb5.include.d/

pjsr2

Re: Authorization not available. Check if polkit service is running or see debug message for more information.

Post by pjsr2 » 2019/04/08 20:28:17

Does the directory /var/lib/sss/pubconf/krb5.include.d/ exist?

According to https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Settin ... g_Kerberos you should not have an "include" in the /etc/krb5.conf file. Not sure if that also means that you should not have "includedir" ....

You don't have "sss" in /etc/nsswitch.conf, so I guess you have not enabled sssd. In that case: just try to remove that includedir line from the file.

sudheerp494

Post by sudheerp494 » 2019/04/08 20:41:42

/var/lib/sss/pubconf/krb5.include.d/ is not existed.

Do you meant to say that i need to delete "includedir /var/lib/sss/pubconf/krb5.include.d/" line from /etc/krb5.conf.

Am i right.

hunter86_bg

Post by hunter86_bg » 2019/04/09 03:53:18

Just put a '#' without the quotes in the beginning of the line. This will comment it out.

Roosterneeb

Post by Roosterneeb » 2019/08/16 13:48:58

Sorry for the necro, but I had the same problem for a while, and then realized I had mounted a usb flash drive.

I watched my boot process on a gnome-based install, and watched it halt when it tried to mount my usb flashdrive that was no longer present.

Of course, I removed the UUID of the flashdrive from /etc/fstab and voila, CentOS boots again normally.

tldr; Check etc/fstab for drives that aren't currently plugged in. This will halt the boot process, and make it seem like it's a policy-kit problem, because mounting occurs before systemd ever starts its services, atleast to my understanding.

simstm

Post by simstm » 2019/09/28 21:36:56

Roosterneeb wrote:
2019/08/16 13:48:58
Sorry for the necro, but I had the same problem for a while, and then realized I had mounted a usb flash drive.

I watched my boot process on a gnome-based install, and watched it halt when it tried to mount my usb flashdrive that was no longer present.

Of course, I removed the UUID of the flashdrive from /etc/fstab and voila, CentOS boots again normally.

tldr; Check etc/fstab for drives that aren't currently plugged in. This will halt the boot process, and make it seem like it's a policy-kit problem, because mounting occurs before systemd ever starts its services, atleast to my understanding.
Perfect, I had the same issue and this solved.

I got that info looking at 'journalctl -xb' but don't understand the message at first. Then when I read this post I remembered that I accidentally installed CentOS with the default settings and not noticed, creating different partitions for root and home. I fixed manually after the install but forgot to remove from /etc/fstab.

Removing the home mapper from /etc/fstab fixed the issue.

sjoerd

Post by sjoerd » 2020/01/20 21:41:48

I've had exactly the same. I've added a WEBDAV mount to be able to handle my backups on a Digitalocean Plesk VPS running on CentOS.
Did some updates including a kernel update and after a reboot, no SSHD, HTTPD, just a recovery shell.
journalctl did show a few unrelated error messages so it took my quite some time to figure out that CentOS tries to mount drives first before eth0 is up. This caused the webdav mount to fail and stopped the complete init procedure.

For avoiding mounting WebDAV before network initialization, _netdev option was needed

Thanks for pointing at the fstab :D

pada

Post by pada » 2021/01/27 17:19:13

The only way that I've managed to get rid of this issue was to run these commands:

Code: Select all

mv /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket /usr/src/
ln -s /run/dbus/system_bus_socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket
reboot

tazzydemon

Post by tazzydemon » 2021/03/10 23:27:13

Pada,

Brilliant reply. My polkit wasnt working after upgrading my remote centos server to 7.8 then 7.9. No error messages that I could find save the ones that came when you tried to restart a service. Your method worked instantly, I was even able to reboot on the command line:

mv /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket /usr/src/
ln -s /run/dbus/system_bus_socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket
reboot
Where on earth did you come upon this idea and why indeed does it work??!!

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2021/03/11 16:28:35

More to the point - how does it work? On a CentOS 7 or 8 system, /run is the real directory and /var/run should be a symlink to /run. If /var/run is a real directory then everything on your system will be out of whack and weird things could be happening.

This is what it should look like:

[root@centos7 ~]# ls -ld /run /var/run
drwxr-xr-x. 43 root root 1220 Mar 11 16:10 /run
lrwxrwxrwx.  1 root root    6 Jan 26  2018 /var/run -> ../run
Identical results on CentOS 8.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke