Rebooted Centos7 machine, and can only log in to Root

Issues related to applications and software problems
morph436

Rebooted Centos7 machine, and can only log in to Root

Post by morph436 » 2019/05/30 18:28:04

Hello Everyone,

I was using remote desktop to my CentOS 7 machine and while I was on site I was using Firefox.
I tried to open it in the RDP session but it said it was already running.
So I killed the process, but it kept repeating that it was still open and suggested rebooting if killing the process didn't work.

So I rebooted, but now, even locally I can't log back in using my username. I'm trying to log into the GUI. If I select "select a different user" and use the "root" user, I can log in.
If I do ctrl+alt+F2 to get to the TTY login, I can use the other user and log in just fine.

When I try to log in to the GUI with this user, it says I had previously logged in before, but then almost looks like it bootstraps, or cycles and puts me back to the login page again without errors.

Any suggestions or outputs I can provide that may help troubleshoot this issue?

I'm pretty new to CentOS, so please forgive my ignorance. And thank you for your help.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Rebooted Centos7 machine, and can only log in to Root

Post by TrevorH » 2019/05/31 13:42:13

So I killed the process, but it kept repeating that it was still open and suggested rebooting if killing the process didn't work.
This is a firefox design thing. When run on a remote system like this, it checks your *running* system and tells you that it's already running. You have to invoke it on the remote end with `firefox --noremote` (might be --no-remote).

For the rest of it, since you can login as root, go read all your log files under /var/log and see if anything shows up there.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke