Upgrade to CentOS 7.7 and VirtualBox 6.0.12

Issues related to applications and software problems
bakersibling

Upgrade to CentOS 7.7 and VirtualBox 6.0.12

Post by bakersibling » 2019/10/01 07:04:26

Hello,

After upgrading my Linux guest to Centos 7.7 and VirtualBox to 6.0.12 on the same day, including installing the guest additions, the graphics display does not resize anymore, and the menu option "Auto-resize Guest Display" is grayed out. Additionally, clipboard functionality is not working anymore, and the interaction with the mouse is not what it used to be.

The kernel version is at 3.10.0-1062.1.1.el7.x86_64. /etc/cent-release shows 7.7.1908 (core).

Researching the different forums I found this to be related to the Linux guest. Things are pointing to an invalid kernel configuration. After running the guest additions installation, the vboxadd-setup.log file tells me:

Code: Select all

Building the main Guest Additions 6.0.12 module for kernel 3.10.0-1062.1.1.el7.x86_64.
Building the shared folder support module.
Building the graphics driver module.
Error building the module.  Build output follows.
make V=1 CONFIG_MODULE_SIG= -C /lib/modules/3.10.0-1062.1.1.el7.x86_64/build M=/tmp/vbox.0 SRCROOT=/tmp/vbox.0 -j1 modules
test -e include/generated/autoconf.h -a -e include/config/auto.conf || (		\
echo >&2;							\
echo >&2 "  ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid.";		\
echo >&2 "         include/generated/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing.";\
echo >&2 "         Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to fix it.";	\
echo >&2 ;							\
/bin/false)
mkdir -p /tmp/vbox.0/.tmp_versions ; rm -f /tmp/vbox.0/.tmp_versions/*
make -f scripts/Makefile.build obj=/tmp/vbox.0
  gcc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/vbox.0/.hgsmi_base.o.d  -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.8.5/include -I./arch/x86/include -Iarch/x86/include/generated  -Iinclude -I./arch/x86/include/uapi -Iarch/x86/include/generated/uapi -I./include/uapi -Iinclude/generated/uapi -include ./include/linux/kconfig.h -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Wno-format-security -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks -std=gnu89 -O2 -m64 -mno-mmx -mno-sse -mpreferred-stack-boundary=3 -mtune=generic -mno-red-zone -mcmodel=kernel -funit-at-a-time -maccumulate-outgoing-args -Wframe-larger-than=2048 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SIGNAL_FRAME=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SECTIONS=1 -DCONFIG_AS_FXSAVEQ=1 -DCONFIG_AS_AVX=1 -DCONFIG_AS_AVX2=1 -DCONFIG_AS_AVX512=1 -DCONFIG_AS_SHA1_NI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_SHA256_NI=1 -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -mno-avx -mindirect-branch=thunk-extern -mindirect-branch-register -DRETPOLINE -Wframe-larger-than=2048 -fstack-protector-strong -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -fno-omit-frame-pointer -fno-optimize-sibling-calls -g -pg -mfentry -DCC_USING_FENTRY -fno-inline-functions-called-once -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -fno-strict-overflow -fconserve-stack -DCC_HAVE_ASM_GOTO -I./include -I/tmp/vbox.0/ -I./include/drm -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DRT_WITHOUT_PRAGMA_ONCE -DRT_ARCH_AMD64  -DMODULE  -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(hgsmi_base)"  -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(vboxvideo)" -c -o /tmp/vbox.0/.tmp_hgsmi_base.o /tmp/vbox.0/hgsmi_base.c
In file included from /tmp/vbox.0/hgsmi_base.c:27:0:
/tmp/vbox.0/vbox_drv.h:187:31: error: field ‘mem_global_ref’ has incomplete type
   struct drm_global_reference mem_global_ref;
                               ^
/tmp/vbox.0/vbox_drv.h:188:28: error: field ‘bo_global_ref’ has incomplete type
   struct ttm_bo_global_ref bo_global_ref;
                            ^
make[2]: *** [/tmp/vbox.0/hgsmi_base.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/tmp/vbox.0] Error 2
make: *** [vboxvideo] Error 2
When things get to the kernel level I'm a little helpless. In another forum entry there is a grave warning about building custom kernels, see https://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Custom_Kernel. I've also done a quick read at https://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/BuildingKernelModules, where a similar warning is posted. My question to the forum is if there is a way I can fix this and still have a supported kernel? Any help, pointers, or the assurance that the CentOS development team is looking into this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Karl Baker

chemal

Re: Upgrade to CentOS 7.7 and VirtualBox 6.0.12

Post by chemal » 2019/10/01 20:48:52

Use the current test build of the Guest Additions. They already include the fixes for the 7.7 kernel.

-> https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds