Display oscillates horizontally 2 pixel wide (Intel+NVIDIA)

Issues related to hardware problems
patlac

Display oscillates horizontally 2 pixel wide (Intel+NVIDIA)

Post by patlac » 2015/08/21 10:57:16

Hi,

I'd like to install Centos on Lenovo Z70-80 notebook (Intel HD Graphics 5500 (Broadwell GT2) integrated + NVIDIA Geforce 840M, 17" 1920x1080 IPS).

The installer's start screen is OK, but after choosing install, when the screen switches to higher resolution: the notebook's internal screen starts to oscillate fast. Not the whole screen in one block, but line by line: moving 2 px to left, and back, with ~10Hz. I can read everything, but it's very disturbing of course. There is a 2px wide something on the right side of the screen.

This problem still remains in graphical mode.

If I connect an external display, there is no oscillation, but sometimes lost signal (black screen for a half second), or if I drag and move a window, the backgound changes, big pixels will appear, etc.

I tried it with Windows 7 and Ubuntu: there wasn't any problem, so I think the hardware is OK.

I tried to start with nomodeset: in this case there is no oscillation, but the graphic performance is very poor, and when I choose Shutdown, the screen freezes, no mouse movement, I can continue only with Ctrl+Alt+Del.

I tried minimal graphics installation (under troubleshooting): no oscillation, but poor graphic performance and freezing.

I tried elrepo's nvidia-detect and installed kmod-nvidia: the oscillation remained, and the booting stopped after writing "[ OK ] Started GNOME Display Manager.", and nothing more happend.

I was trying with bumblebee too, without success, but I don't know if I made everything right.

That would be my first Linux desktop, so everithing is new for me: after more than 20 years of Windows I think it's time to start a "new life" now. I spent 3 days with this problem without any result, I tried a lot of things, but it is possible I made something wrong. I hope there is some solution, I'd be very happy to use Centos (but I can't buy an other hardware for that...).

If you have any idea, please share with me.

Thank You!