Installing CentOS 7 in UEFI Mode Ideapad 120s 14

Issues related to hardware problems
JeremyTourville

Installing CentOS 7 in UEFI Mode Ideapad 120s 14

Post by JeremyTourville » 2019/01/29 15:44:17

Hello, I am wondering if anyone has had success installing CentOS 7 in UEFI mode?

I have been able to get Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop to install in UEFI mode.

I can get CentOS 7 to install in legacy mode.

I just can't seem to get CentOS 7 to install in UEFI mode.

When attempting to install in UEFI mode I used the exact same BIOS settings as I did for Ubuntu

Intel Platform Trust Technology:Enabled

Secure Boot:Enabled

Boot Mode:UEFI

My USB drive was created using Win32disk imager which is like DD for Windows. I have seen issues in the past with using tools such as Rufus or Yumi Boot to get CentOS 7 to install so I chose that tool to create my bootable USB drive.

When I start the setup I am able to get the prompt to test media, troubleshoot or install. I choose the install option. The system proceeds to a new screen and at that point I get nothing more than a blinking cursor in the upper left corner.

Why do I want UEFI mode? Faster boot time. CentOS 7 UEFI suppport has existed since version ~6.5 or later. This is curious to me. I'd welcome anyone's thoughts or input. I cross posted over in Lenovo too and see what happens.
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Ide ... -p/4345723

Thanks everyone!

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Installing CentOS 7 in UEFI Mode Ideapad 120s 14

Post by TrevorH » 2019/01/29 15:54:40

Many of the tools available to copy iso images to a USB Stick are broken and corrupt the CentOS isos as they copy them. The usual symptom is the lack of UEFI boot ability. I don't know about Win32diskimager but the tool we recommend is plain old dd or rawrite2. Both are available for Windows and there are links to known working copies in our wiki USB install article http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

JeremyTourville

Post by JeremyTourville » 2019/01/29 23:10:31

Yes, you are correct I have experienced the issues you are referring to. Yumi is broken for sure. I don't know about Rufus. My installer tool works ok for legacy mode though. I guess that's why this has me perplexed. Logic says the USB install worked for the other mode using the same distro. I'll try to DD an image from one of my Linux machines just to rule that out. I believe I read somewhere that Win32disk imager was a port of the rawrite2 utility and so it *should* work the same. I'll report back with my findings.

JeremyTourville

Post by JeremyTourville » 2019/01/29 23:50:39

OK, I have tested using DD to install the ISO to my USB. It makes no difference. The behavior is the same. I get prompted to test my install CD/DVD, install or choose advanced options on the first screen. After making a choice of one of them the screen changes and I get a cursor in the upper left corner at which point the system appears to be hung or unable to continue.

BTW, the tool I was using to install to my USB was listed in the article as an approved working tool. (Win32 Disk Imager)

"Confirmed as functioning correctly are Rufus (may depend on options selected, there have been reports of failure with rufus too), Fedora LiveUSB Creator, Win32 Disk Imager, Rawrite32 and dd for Windows"