Can't Install on Dell Precision 7530 with SSD Micron 2200 NVME 512 Gb

Issues related to hardware problems
prd_cv1

Can't Install on Dell Precision 7530 with SSD Micron 2200 NVME 512 Gb

Post by prd_cv1 » 2019/07/04 20:35:41

I have just acquired Dell Precision 7530 with SSD Micron 2200 NVME 512 Gb and try to install Centos 7.6 (The iso downloaded from here) with a USB key generated by Rufus

Boot on USB and setup launch fine but when I have to select the target partition, centos setup program only see the USB key, not my SSD hard drive (partitioned in 3 units in one with Windows 10 and other empty at this time)

How can I make Centos setup recognize my disk and partitions. Tried to see compatibility options in Bios but without luck. Tried to format the two partition in NTFS or Ext but no change, my hard disk remains invisible.

Thank you for your help and advises

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Can't Install on Dell Precision 7530 with SSD Micron 2200 NVME 512 Gb

Post by TrevorH » 2019/07/04 21:13:58

We don't recommend use of Rufus any more as it will corrupt the CentOS isos under some circumstances if the wrong options are chosen. Either use dd on linux or, if you're stuck with Windows, use one of the known working utilities listed in our wiki page http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

cjliu

Re: Can't Install on Dell Precision 7530 with SSD Micron 2200 NVME 512 Gb

Post by cjliu » 2019/07/13 18:09:56

I also want to use CentOS 7.6 on a Dell Precision 7530 provided by my work. It comes with 4K display that makes reading those tiny printout on the screen very difficult. Would suggest Linux developers to avoid 4K display.

The 7530 also comes with a bitlocker encrypted M.2 NVMe ssd that requires secure boot enabled. It makes it tricky for trying to add a Linux for dual boot. Therefore, I tried reusing another available M.2 NVMe ssd for using slot 3. Of course, you need to loosen all screws and remove the bottom panel.

There are three M.2 slots, i.e., slot 3, 4, and 5, accessible. The existing encrypted Windows 10 was mounted on slot 5. So I added the new one on slot 3, next to the 5. Because the bitlocker would encrypt any accessible ssh that is can find, thus I had to deactivate that Windows 10 ssd by changing the bios configuration - wait 15 sec and press F12 after powering up when the Dell logo just pop up. It is quite slow for that logo to come up, not sure why.
Shift down to OTHER OPTIONS: BIOS Setup and then from Settings: General to 2nd row System Configuration. Press enter and shift down to Drives. I unchecked the M.2 PCIe SSD-0 / Slot-5 where the encrypted ssd is located. And left Slot-3 checked, where the new ssd would host the Linux installation. Make sure the Secure Boot on the 5th row of Settings is cleared, and also the SATA Operation changed to AHCI. Save and exit the configuration and the 7530 would reboot. Press F12 again to re-enter BIOS configuration screen.

I installed CentOS 7.6 on USB prepared with dd. Plug in the USB stick when 7530 reboots before entering BIOS configuration, you can select the USB stick to boot in the Boot Sequence list. Make no change with UEFI mode.

I managed to install CentOS 7.6. HOWEVER, after I reboot and try to use it, the system failed to finish boot up. It ran into "Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal exception.

I could switch back to Windows 10 with successful boot up, logon, and run applications, after turning back on Secure Boot as well as activating Slot 5 and deactivating slot 3.

Anyone (particularly from Dell Tech Support) any idea?

Thanks.

CJ Liu

prd_cv1

[Solved] Re: Can't Install on Dell Precision 7530 with SSD Micron 2200 NVME 512 Gb

Post by prd_cv1 » 2019/07/25 11:40:26

Regarding the issue descrived, I solved it on BIOS option selecting AHCI as HDD mode in place of RAID which was selected by default. After this and reboot, I was able to see mt two SSD disk and install with success Centos on the second one