Boot Loop problem

Issues related to hardware problems
enscomputers

Boot Loop problem

Post by enscomputers » 2023/11/21 19:16:36

Hi everyone,
I want to setup an internal web server at work and chose CentOS 7 and CWP. Specs are: 8GB RAM & AMD A6 6400K with Radeon Graphics APU.

I originally set it up at home and took it into work to finish configuring only to find it was boot looping so I tried to wipe and fresh install which had same problem. I have run hardware scans and tried different RAM with no joy. I installed Ubuntu server and that worked fine, I've brought it home and Installed CentOS 7 and it went through without a hitch.

The only difference is that at work it was hooked up via a 2 port KVM to the onboard VGA at home it is connected through the onboard HDMI. Surely that couldn't be the problem!!!!

TIA

Eddie

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Boot Loop problem

Post by TrevorH » 2023/11/21 19:29:52

Interrupt the boot process at the grub prompt, edit the kernel command line and remove both 'rhgb' and 'quiet' then continue the boot. Now you should see any errors that occur.

I'd recommend reading viewtopic.php?f=12&t=66365 as CWP has nothing whatsoever to do with the CentOS Project. I'd also recommend googling for "CWP CVE" and see how many severity 10 (the highest) vulnerabilities have been found in CWP in the past. I'd stay as far away as possible.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

enscomputers

Re: Boot Loop problem

Post by enscomputers » 2023/11/22 20:03:33

Thanks for the reply TrevorH.

Taking into account I am only going to be using it for in-house hosting what free control panel would you suggest I use? Taking into account I will probably need to use different PHP versions. I will have to buy softaculous which I don't mind doing.

Eddie