Network Interfaces switching during install unable to change

Issues related to configuring your network
eclay

Network Interfaces switching during install unable to change

Post by eclay » 2014/07/30 20:29:30

Hello,

I've run into another issue where NetworkManager after anaconda install decides that eth0 and eth1 are opposite. So when the system comes up the mac address normally assigned to eth0 is actually showing up as eth1 and vis a versa for eth1. I'm basing this off of installing CentOS 5.x/6.x and Ubuntu/debian on this same server. They all would see the network cards properly. I've disabled NetworkManager on the server by doing the following.

systemctl stop NetworkManager.service
systemctl disable NetworkManager.service
systemctl enable network.service
systemctl start network.service

After doing this I'm still unable to get any change I make to what MAC address is in either ifcfg-eth{0,1} config file to actually do anything. I've also created a /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules file which doesn't help.

SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="00:25:90:78:45:b4", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth0"

SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="00:25:90:78:45:b5", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth1"

So I went the route of excluding the NetworkManager rpms during a kickstart install. After the system install completes and boot up for the first time ifcfg only see a lo device. Using "ifup eth0" returns an error as follows.

ERROR : [/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-eth] Device eth0 has a different MAC address than expected, ignoring

Ther is not rules file in /etc/udev/rules.d/ directory specifying what each interface should be. If I create it no change. Also both ifcfg- files are set to be enabled on boot.

00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection (rev 05)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82574L Gigabit Network Connection

Any ideas on how to change which interface is seen as eth0 or eth1?

Both cards appear to be using the e1000e driver.