Lan not found

Issues related to configuring your network
random91

Lan not found

Post by random91 » 2014/08/06 10:47:50

hello to everyone,
i've just installed centos 7 and ther is a little problem with lan.
well my pc doesn't found it, i'd like to know if i can configure it.
erlier thanks :D

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Lan not found

Post by TrevorH » 2014/08/06 13:14:41

Support for many older LAN cards has been removed from el7. You'll need to tell us what ethernet card you have in particular - the output of lspci -nn | grep -i net would do that. In particular nvidia chips supported by forcedeth, intel chips supported by the e100 module are among many that are no longer supported. The ELRepo has produced some kmod drivers for the missing chips so it's worth search there to see if you can find one for your chip or post an RFE on their bugtracker to ask for a new one if not found.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

berkbw

Post by berkbw » 2014/08/07 21:00:24

I remember when the only linux available to me was SLS. It, and Slackware and others to follow, all trumpeted about the great thing about linux was that it would run on old, obsolete, hardware. To me, it does not seem to be a difficult task to fix this, for LANs, anyway. If the old stuff won't fit with the new stuff on the medium, make a separate disk and add : Pre-boot bootable, includeable during install, or after installation. After all, this stuff IS in the archives.

b-

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2014/08/07 22:33:29

It's also in the kernel source for the current distro but since RH don't enable it, neither does CentOS.

ELRepo specialize in providing drivers for hardware that isn't supported by the distro kernel - usually because it's too new but they have been filling the gaps here quite nicely too. It only takes someone to request it. So far I see they've built kmod-3c59x, kmod-e100, and kmod-forcedeth in addition to the drivers that they already provided for el6 such as kmod-e1000, kmod-e1000e, kmod-igb and kmod-ixgbe.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke