Network Access during install

Issues related to configuring your network
theprince1991

Network Access during install

Post by theprince1991 » 2014/08/21 02:40:07

I've never usually had to ask for help on a forum (I usually, eventually, find the answer by googling) but I am having a very tough time installing CentOS 7 on my late 2009 Macbook Pro 5,2.

tl;dr I need network access during install to gain access to the package "mactel-boot". I need to know if I buy a cheap USB wifi Adaptor from eBay if it will definitely work. If not please suggest models that definitely do work. Installer stops and quits when trying to install "mactel-boot" so I cannot continue installing. I need to add a repository where you can configure what type of install you want (minimal/GNOME/KDE etc etc) and I will not get the error message at that point and installing will hopefully be ok

The Story:

When I first downloaded CentOS (FULL, almost 8gb) I used UNetbootin to install it, I then had major issues booting into the install process. I would get the nouveau: "Invalid ROM contents", and therefore I tried to install using the non-GUI way. When I tried to partition my hard drive I would get the "Error checking storage configuration" so I just got fed up and I wiped the entire hard drive which got rid of the above error. Good stuff. But after the installer deleted the partitions the installer failed almost immediately and I was left with no operating systems at all (yay!)

So then I re-installed Mac OS X and decided to try again. This time I would able to get past the "Invalid ROM contents" error by adding the boot parameter "nomodeset" but I THEN got the error boot /dev/root does not exist. Turns out UNetbootin shouldn't be used and dd should be used instead. Once I did that I was able to boot to the GUI with the "nomodeset" flag. Good progress. I had allocated 140gb in free space using disk utility and I wanted the installer to allocate partitions itself but I STILL got the "Error checking storage configuration" error.

I then decided to manually partition (SWAP: 8GB, efi: 200MB, /: ~132GB) and it gave me a bootloader error so I told it not to install the bootloader (I figured I would chroot into /mnt/sysimage later and install manually). And that worked!

I was going for a GNOME install with most common GNOME programs, office, command line tools etc etc and it all went great.

I hit install, it creates the partitions, it starts to install but then fails with "NoSuchPackage: mactel-boot - Anaconda". I found out from a Fedora forum (centOS uses the Fedora installer AFAIK) that that particular package is not present on the live disk thus the reason it fails.

I want to add this repository http://miuku.net/mactel-boot/f19/

But I don't have network access :lol:

My ethernet is not detected and nor is my wifi.

I just wanted to make sure, if I buy a cheap £3 USB Wireless adapter, will it definitely be detected during the CentOS install THUS enabling me to download mactel-boot and continue with the install?

If you know any USB Wireless adapters that definitely WILL work. PLEASE let me know.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this unreasonably long post,
Naz.