How to install older version of OpenSSH

Issues related to configuring your network
logitech

How to install older version of OpenSSH

Post by logitech » 2019/05/16 13:45:59

I'm new to CentOS and Linux community :D. As far as I'm aware CentOS comes with the newsest versino of OpenSSH. I would like to install older version - OpenSSH_6.6.1p1. I'm having trouble understanding how to do that. I have tried firstly uninstallig all OpenSSH packages, but that my Gnome GUI also uninstalls.

Here https://askubuntu.com/questions/874194/ ... fore-patch I have found old versions of OpenSSH and have figured out how to install it using "config" file, "make" and "make install" commands but I don't know hot to configure CentOS to use that older version.

I would appreciate any help.

avij
Retired Moderator

Re: How to install older version of OpenSSH

Post by avij » 2019/05/16 14:04:24

You know that is not a good idea, right? What do you think you would gain with an older version?

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2019/05/16 21:52:48

What is the actual problem you're trying to solve? Because backleveling openssh to an unsupported version full of known and subsequently fixed bugs seems like a crazy idea.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

logitech

Post by logitech » 2019/05/17 07:44:58

I'm running an application localy that is using new version of OpenSSH and some integration tests that are using it are failing because of it. Specifically sftp connection can't be established during tests (and needs to be established). Those same tests pass on Jenkins. Everything from configuration to the parameters is the same on my local pc as on Jenkins except the version of OpenSSH and so I wanted to try to install older version localy to see if it is the root cause of tests failling since I have tried everything else.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2019/05/17 10:30:15

There were several changes that deprecated insecure connection methods in the upgrade from the older version to 7.4p1. That upgrade happened between 7.3.1611 and 7.4.1708, nearly two years ago. The details of what was removed in the upgrade can be found in the RHEL 7.4 Release Notes document here and in the openssh changelog here

Most likely the reason your connections are now failing is that they were insecure before. You should probably look at fixing that rather than backleveling to a 2 year old version of openssh.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke