Writing to RAID over network, kills network

Issues related to configuring your network
jwhyche

Writing to RAID over network, kills network

Post by jwhyche » 2019/06/25 00:39:20

I have rather unusual problem in that no one else has ever heard of it. I have software based RAID-5 array on a old AMD-8350 with a GA-990FXA-UD5 motherboard. When ever I write to the array from over the network, samba or sftp/scp, the network dies after about 5 minutes, give or take. It only does then when I'm writing to the array over the network. Copying files to the array internally, everything works fine. I can read from the array over the network just fine. This seems to be the only log error.

Jun 24 15:49:12 jackass NetworkManager[5480]: <info> [1561409351.9994] device (enp8s0): statechange: unavailable -> disconnected (reason 'carrier-changed', sys-iface-state: 'managed')

aks

Re: Writing to RAID over network, kills network

Post by aks » 2019/06/25 19:20:35

I have rather unusual problem in that no one else has ever heard of it.
Congratulations and it sucks to be you :)
the network dies after about 5 minutes
It;'s fairly unlikely that the correlation between the write happening and the network death is accurate - unless there is a bucket load of buffering going on (in which case you have to much hardware!)

The log message suggests the carrier has dropped on the connection (well it's changed and either the carrier is there or not). Replace labels and try a different port on the switch (or even better use something that is known to be working well).

More info may be gleamed from:

journalctl -u NetworkManager

and (possibly):

dmesg