How can i get firewalld to see traffic from a VPN client as part of my home zone?

Issues related to configuring your network
anders_tn

How can i get firewalld to see traffic from a VPN client as part of my home zone?

Post by anders_tn » 2019/07/13 22:01:33

Hi

After I switched to CentOS 7 I have started using the new firewall-cmd as opposed to iptables which I used in the past. In a lot of ways I like firewall-cmd better, but I ran into a problem when I tried using the home zone and subnets to allow traffic from my VPN-clients to reach a couple of administrative interfaces which shouldnt be public like ssh and a webui. For internal use by devices on my lan attaching the home zone to all traffic from my internal subnet, 192.168.1.0/24, seems to have done the trick but the same won't work for my VPN clients, 10.16.0.0/24. Given the included setup for the home zone can anyone here see what the issue is?

PS: If it was unclear the VPN client in question is connecting to a server that is running on my router and not to a server running directly on the machine I'm trying to reach. I know there is nothing wrong with this VPN server itself and/or the routing because adding the ssh and webui rules to the public interface, which is default for all traffic, makes everything work as expected.

These are the rules for the home zone:

Code: Select all

home (active)
  target: default
  icmp-block-inversion: no
  interfaces:
  sources: 192.168.1.0/24 10.16.0.0/24
  services: ssh mdns samba-client dhcpv6-client webui
  ports:
  protocols:
  masquerade: no
  forward-ports:
  source-ports:
  icmp-blocks:
  rich rules:

anders_tn

Re: How can i get firewalld to see traffic from a VPN client as part of my home zone?

Post by anders_tn » 2019/07/14 13:44:43

So I think I have my have solved this problem myself. Apparently for things to work properly I needed to add a route via my router back to the 10.16.0.0/24 subnet. That fixed things. That said I'm not entirely sure if the firewall may have worked all along and the route simply allowed these services to send a response that now reached the me or if the firewall itself somehow uses the routing table to identify which subnets are in play beyond adding them to the various zones. If somebody comes along who is more well versed in the combined use of VPN connections and firewall-cmd feel free to shed some light on the matter :)