network service fails during boot: No suitable device found for this connection

Issues related to configuring your network
lcb

network service fails during boot: No suitable device found for this connection

Post by lcb » 2019/10/24 12:51:06

EDIT: Before anyone invests time, the problem was fixed by using a different network cable/plug (embarrassing ... I know :oops: )

Hi folks,
I've been reading around for a couple of days and looking for a solution to a network problem but to no avail.

I'm running CentOS 7.7.1908 with kernel 3.10.0-1062.4.1.el7.x86_64 and I use NetworkManager. The IP address is assigned from a DHCP Server. Moreover, we have two nfs volumes that we mount.

When booting I see:
[FAILED] Failed to start LSB: Bring up/down networking.
and later on
[FAILED] Failed to mount /import/hlohomes.
See 'systemctl status import-hlohomes.mount' for details.
[FAILED] Failed to mount /import/hlodata.
See 'systemctl status import-hlodata.mount' for details.

Once logged in systemctl --failed gives:

Code: Select all

UNIT                  LOAD   ACTIVE SUB    DESCRIPTION
● import-hlodata.mount  loaded failed failed /import/hlodata
● import-hlohomes.mount loaded failed failed /import/hlohomes
● network.service 	loaded failed failed LSB: Bring up/down networking
and systemctl status network yields:
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2019-10-24 12:56:35 CEST; 50min ago
Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
Process: 2230 ExecStart=/etc/rc.d/init.d/network start (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Oct 24 12:56:35 pcname.Domain.DE systemd[1]: Starting LSB: Bring up/down networking...
Oct 24 12:56:35 pcname.Domain.DE network[2230]: Bringing up loopback interface: [ OK ]
Oct 24 12:56:35 pcname.Domain.DE network[2230]: Bringing up interface eno1: Error: Connection activation failed: No suitable device found for this connection (device eno1 not available because device has no carrier).
Oct 24 12:56:35 pcname.Domain.DE network[2230]: [FAILED]
Oct 24 12:56:35 pcname.Domain.DE systemd[1]: network.service: control process exited, code=exited status=1
Oct 24 12:56:35 pcname.Domain.DE systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB: Bring up/down networking.
Oct 24 12:56:35 pcname.Domain.DE systemd[1]: Unit network.service entered failed state.
Oct 24 12:56:35 pcname.Domain.DE systemd[1]: network.service failed.
The ifcfg-eno1 file in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts is:
# Generated by dracut initrd
NAME="eno1"
DEVICE="eno1"
ONBOOT=yes
NETBOOT=yes
UUID="d9ef6661-d6b7-45c8-a934-f2c49e9bf4b0"
IPV6INIT=no
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
TYPE=Ethernet
DEFROUTE=yes
IPV4_FAILURE_FATAL=no
PEERDNS=yes
PEERROUTES=yes
running nmcli connection show gives

Code: Select all

NAME     UUID                                  TYPE      DEVICE 
eno1     d9ef6661-d6b7-45c8-a934-f2c49e9bf4b0  ethernet  eno1   
virbr0   4493b9ac-f204-420e-85ed-5f7589aa1a1d  bridge    virbr0 
enp11s0  6f3748cf-e30c-b688-a386-339eea9ff7f3  ethernet  --     
There is no ifcfg-virbr0 file in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts

Once booted, the computer is on the network, even though the network service is in a failed state.

The strange thing is, we have several other computers with identical configurations (except UUID obviosuly) which do not show this kind of behavior.

In case this helps to identify the problem: I once assigned a different MAC Address to this computer in the Gnome-GUI of NetworkManager and when I changed it back to the original MAC address these problems started to occur.

I included a HWADDR line in the ifcfg file and rebooted, I generated a new UUID, specified it in the ifcfg file and rebooted. None fixed the problem. I even disabled NetworkManager ... however, in this scenario the computer didn't end up in the network and I had to login locally and do systemctl restart network. When I move the ifcfg file to /root/ and reboot, the error does not show up. However, the nfs volumes still fail to be mounted. I can achieve that the nfs mounts are mounted by adding
comment=systemd.automount
in the respective line in /etc/fstab

but during boot time I still get failed mount attempts for these.

Personally, I think the closest I can trace back the problem is somewhat connected to
Bringing up interface eno1: Error: Connection activation failed: No suitable device found for this connection (device eno1 not available because device has no carrier
but I just do not know what this is supposed to tell me. I assume that later on, i.e. when NetworkManager successfully connects to the network, the device has a carrier.

Any help and suggestions are appreciated!

Cheers,
Lars

lcb

Re: network service fails during boot: No suitable device found for this connection

Post by lcb » 2019/10/24 14:16:12

Sorry for raising this topic ... I should have tried this earlier:
I fixed the problem by using a different network cable/plug.
Now I have a 1000Mbit/s connection instead of 100Mbit/s and booting works without raising any problems! I had this excluded as a reason because I did get a connection with NetworkManager before and also I was able to start the network service without any problems after logging in by issuing systemctl start network but anyhow ... sometimes solutions are a bit of a mystery ;)