Cannot ssh into server

Support for security such as Firewalls and securing linux
brads

Cannot ssh into server

Post by brads » 2016/10/05 16:12:28

Greetings all,

I cannot ssh into my server from a fedora 24 workstation. This server is a new fresh install. I am very new to linux and have set up a lab at home to study. I am using wireless connection on both server and fedora workstation. I have read the fedora documentation on firewalld. I have confirmed it is loaded at boot and running. I have read the redhat system administration document as well as the installation guide. I am going to firewalld.org as soon as I post this message.

I am using the public zone as follows: The configuration is permanent - Under services, the following are checked mark. Dhcp v6 client, ipp, ipp-client, mdns and ssh. Under ports, I have port 22 and tcp. Under Masquerading and port forwarding there is nothing. Nothing is checked under ICMP Filter. Under Rich Rules I have nothing. Under interfaces I have interface wlp3s0 used by network connection NETGEAR16. Under sources I now have nothing although I did try 192.168.1.1/24.

It should not be this hard to set up ssh but being new to this environment I am stuck. Is it possible that iptables is interfering? Because I have followed many examples on the documentation am I better off deleting firewalld and reinstalling it? It appears that firewalld is the new norm so I am assuming this is the way I should learn vs iptables.

I have run

Code: Select all

systemctl status iptables$ systemctl status ip6tables 
and the results are:
iptables\x24.service
Loaded: not-found (Reason: No such file or directory)
Active: inactive (dead)

● systemctl.service

● status.service

● ip6tables.service

so I assume I am getting no interference from it.

What happens if I delete in /etc/sysconfig/iptables and everything in /etc/sysconfig/ip6tables and just leave the files empty. I am sorry this is long winded but I have read and tried to follow everything I can and yet I get permission denied when trying to ssh inter the server. I also was able to ssh into the fedora work station but now have messed that up somehow. I am able to ping both ways. Being so new I do not know what else to put in this post but if you asked me to run come commands and post results I can do that. Ok time now to go to firewalld.org and read more.

thank you all

brads

[Closed]Re: Cannot ssh into server

Post by brads » 2016/10/07 02:30:00

Closing this topic until I am more familiar with firewalld.