How to manually call kickstart file by using installation image to load the empty client

Issues related to applications and software problems and general support
Huang Haiqing

How to manually call kickstart file by using installation image to load the empty client

Post by Huang Haiqing » 2023/06/30 02:16:13

Hello, I have a dhcp+tftp+kickstart+repo server, which can provide all-in-one service in my IT environment. A bare physical server can boot from dhcp LAN and get an all-in-one centos 7/8/9 OS customized installation. Because of business requirement, I need to stop providing dhcp [next-server links to tftp service] service. Which means I need to load a centos 7/8/9 iso in physical bare server side, and manually input kickstart server info. I know it's inst.ks = boot option and the location of the Kickstart file. My question is what's the correct procedures of load an installation DVD image on the client and where to press "esc", and what's the example input strings in "boot:" to let my physical bare server can communicate with my kickstart part. I suppose this is called manually drive mode to load kickstart[without dhcp and tfpt]. Anyhow can guide me how to with a detail steps or share related KBs about the operation? Thanks.

From screen copy, you can see when I press "esc" during installation image is loaded, I don't know what to type, then to hook with my kickstart and repo.
Attachments
截屏2023-06-30 10.19.08.png
截屏2023-06-30 10.19.08.png (50.37 KiB) Viewed 1098 times

BShT

Re: How to manually call kickstart file by using installation image to load the empty client

Post by BShT » 2023/06/30 12:18:28

why don't you make a VLAN just for the servers dhcp?

Huang Haiqing

Re: How to manually call kickstart file by using installation image to load the empty client

Post by Huang Haiqing » 2023/06/30 12:25:08

Hello, actually I’m searching a way to load installation image and press tab during start in boot:, and the correct format to load kickstart file from web.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2023/06/30 13:02:08

You press tab not ESC. If you press Esc then you drop to a plain grub prompt. If you press tab then you get to edit the config it already knows about. And once you press tab you append something like inst.ks=http://mykickstartserver/ks/thisserver.ks
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke